Hovercraft: SCAT etc.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hovercraft: SCAT etc.

Hovercraft: SCAT etc.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has driven or owned a personal hovercraft like SCAT or similar. I think these would also fit the discussion of AATV's. Would like to get some info on how the do on various surfaces. Positives and negatives of them. I am guessing they are noisy but what else. the only hovercraft I have ever been on was as a kid I have been on the giant ones that cross the English channel... ]
    2000 Land Tamer with Tracks.

whipper and i seen one out at the glamis dunes and it looked cool but seemed to me that
    the guy had a hard time handling it and it wasnt that fast, he had to have
    vehicles around him to protect it from either getting hit or hitting somthing..
    it didnt seem to noisy

Whipper has a still pic of it & ,believe it or not, a short video of it going down the Sand Drags at the Dunes. From what I remember seeing, it was just like wfo said. We'll see if he can get it posted soon.

Bridget

When I was younger, I saw one at the boat launch ramp while my parents were launching their boat. It was cool as $#!% spinning and doing "donuts" half in the water, half on the beach. He was running all around and not in a wide open area, so he had pretty darn good control of it. It wouldn't sneak up on you but I don't really remember it being obnoxious, but It was quite a few years ago, so that's all I really remember.

I'd LOVE to get one myself, but I have too many toys as it is.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Hovercraft at Sand Drags

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 03:48 PM.

man that was quieter than i thought

I saw one of these when I was a little kid and thought it was one of the coolest things (besides a 6 wheeler of course). I did some research on them a few months ago and found out that Scat built these in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami......somewhere in south Florida, I can't remember exactly where. They had since been sold off to a larger hovercraft company who still produces them today under the same name, but for functions like search and rescue for fire companies. They had the same engines that some of us 6x6 racers run too. There was the Cuyuna 440 (and 215 I believe) as well as the 503 Rotax.

YouTube - scat hovercraft

SCAT Technologies Pte Ltd
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thought I would revive this old thread since I am driving a total of 16 hours tomorrow to pick mine up...so are there any other members of 6x6world that have a hovercraft besides me?

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

16 hours from Wi., I'll take the Attex holding it up.

I don't have one YET...however I"m looking at one locally a bit beat...but most of my s#!% is beat anyway ROFL

I'll try and dig up some shots of it to share, it's a Scat clone known as a Cobra made in BC Canada years ago!

K here we go...

That's what I"m looking at for a rebuild like the Muscateer got done!
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 05-20-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread