GMC 2500 vs 1500

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GMC 2500 vs 1500

Not if you get more machines and an even bigger trailer.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

No way! A heavier truck tows anything better. Im a huge Cummins fan myself, but if your getting a used dmax, go with a 2004 or later.Less injection and trans problems. Once you get a diesel, you won't go back to gas.

I had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LS with the 6.0 engine. It was a towing beast. Mine was the extended cab version with the small back doors that you had to open once the front doors were open. The engine and drivetrain were pretty bullet proof. The rest of the truck was typical General Motors. There was nothing special about the interior-In fact I thought it was hideous. The fuel economy hovered at 12 mpg or so, and the best I ever got was 15mpg traveling with a strong wind from the back. My biggest pet peave was the fact that G.M. never got the glass on the little doors to seal very well, my truck had the pop-out style windows and they are notorious for letting noise and occasionally a breeze inside the cab. The true 4 door trucks don't have this issue. I also had the typical problems with GM vehicles (air conditioning, guage problems, failed power windows and wiper motors, etc.). On the upside, it ran like nobody's business, and was fairly maneuverable for such a big truck.

Jus my 2 cents,we pull constantly,goose neck horse trailer,6500 lb boat,7.5 x 16 enclosed there is always something hanging off the back,for me a big block gasser 2500 series,dont get me wrong we have pulled with dual wheel crew cab diesel and there is little to compare to it,but dollar value that diesel can get expensive to maintain been there with injector and glow plug issues very costly,and the getting in price is high,the Generals 6 litre is a king kong gasser and pulls like a freight train,gets reasonable mileage and lasts well,we spend a great deal of time in the north and not always have plug ins available and it gets tough on the diesel frigid starts.The General makes a fine truck we have owned them all and will replace with another GM someday.CHEERS

Drew you are such a bad influence sometimes. Leave it to you to mention more machines.. I let Mel even hear that kind of talk, at least not just yet. Let me win the lotto and then its on. Great points all of you. I will be looking more into my needs. I am leaning more towards the 1500 only due to price but if I wait until I get back I will be leaning toward the 2500HD. I will keep yall posted and once its done I will post a picture.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Hey bro,, one word for ya,,,, "practical". Your Escalade, did everything that you wanted it to do and then some. It was comfortable and got ok gas mileage with a full load. When we drove to Arkansas to pick up my Hustler, there and back to Georgia, I spent less than $500 in gas, and what about when we went to Tarboro, NC for my Max II, and then turned and burned straight to Pound, Va for two more Max II's, three hours later, the gas wasnt that bad, and we was comfortable and the Caddy performed wonderfully!! And note that your Caddy is on a shorter wheelbase than a regular bed truck, so a longer wheelbase truck can handle the weight better. If you think that you or we will ever have to tow over a truck and a trailer worth of weight (approx, 8-10k lbs) then the 2500 will be the choice. Over kill in this situation may kill your pockets. I mean, you could get the 2500 and upgrade to a gooseneck trailer and tow everybodys AATV to Busco and what not!!!! I know that will be easier on my pockets at least,,,, lol,, im just saying. I would go for the top shelf 1500, save the money from the difference of the two, and be happy with the peace of mind that you got the better of the two!!!

Also, Old Man Freddie has that F250 Diesel, for two Drag motorcyles with wheelie bars and a four wheeler in a 20x7.5 ft trailer,,, over kill!!!!!
    Stanley Bryant, Finance Consultant at our local Chevy Dealership has a 2500 diesel pulling his Top Gas/Top Fuel 3000hp car in a 24ft car trailer,,,, right on time!!!!

You always said to get what you want, so its what you decide. The 1500 will do fine, but the 2500 will do more!!! Or,,,,,,,,,, you can always go Ford,,,, that new F150 Ecoboost has my name all on it,,,, and it could have your name on it too,,,, lol ( I know your only a Chevy man,lol)
    If you do get it, before you deploy, go and see Mr. Stanley Bryant, Hinesville Chevy, and tell him that I sent you!! He loves Die Hard Chevy Lovers!!!!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3, and I really wish that I had gotten a Duramax instead. Seems like now that the manufacturers are competing for gas mileage so much, they've forgotten the purpose of a truck. My truck gets 20 mpg, but the power is extremely disappointing... I could re-gear it, or add forced induction, but for what that would cost I could have a Duramax and not even need to. Duramax trucks can do burnouts on pavement, I can't...(yes I did turn off the traction control...) One of my neighbors has an 05 Chevy 2500 Duramax with Bully Dog's propane injection kit, and he loves it. He has no problem hauling a backhoe on a gooseneck, and when he ain't hauling, he gets better fuel mileage than me! I don't know why people seem so scared of maintenance on diesel trucks, they are inherently more reliable and longer lasting than gas burners... I just wish I could buy a truck with a Caterpillar engine.....

Just my $.02... My next truck will most likely be a GMC 2500 Duramax...
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3, and I really wish that I had gotten a Duramax instead. Seems like now that the manufacturers are competing for gas mileage so much, they've forgotten the purpose of a truck. My truck gets 20 mpg, but the power is extremely disappointing... I could re-gear it, or add forced induction, but for what that would cost I could have a Duramax and not even need to. Duramax trucks can do burnouts on pavement, I can't...(yes I did turn off the traction control...) One of my neighbors has an 05 Chevy 2500 Duramax with Bully Dog's propane injection kit, and he loves it. He has no problem hauling a backhoe on a gooseneck, and when he ain't hauling, he gets better fuel mileage than me! I don't know why people seem so scared of maintenance on diesel trucks, they are inherently more reliable and longer lasting than gas burners... I just wish I could buy a truck with a Caterpillar engine.....

Just my $.02... My next truck will most likely be a GMC 2500 Duramax...
    I'm a Ford Guy,,,,, but DURAMAX, is a complete beast!!!! great engine and incredible power!!
    Last edited by fmints; 12-21-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Not tryin to start something Stonewall,but 03 dually duramax 4x4 200 thou K or about 120T miles all injectors three thousand plus bill that is what scared me,yes probably fuel issues,low sulphur,who knows,on the other side 04 Silverado 5.3 with 250 thousand K,replaced a water pump,Jus sayin and my experience only.Things might have changed since 03 but that was enough to sour me,I will never dispute the duramax for towing I would jus hook and go but for me with no way to write off costs I just couldn,t justify the diesel anymore.Heck I still pull big loads to this day with my E 350 Van with a 5.4 gasser in it with 325 thousand klicks on it,the gassers are lasting longer than they use to.Cheers NCT

Yes, the injectors were a common problem on the LB7 Duramax engines. My understanding is that that problem was fixed in '04 with the LLY engine. I thought GM extended the injector warranty on the LB7 trucks to 200,000 miles though? At any rate the Duramax is still a FAR better engine than the 6.5 Detroit engine...

If I could put any engine in any truck, I'd put a Caterpillar in a GMC...
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

+ Reply to Thread