New guy wants an Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy wants an Argo

New guy wants an Argo

Good Morning. Im brand new to this forum and even newer to these machines. I live in Wisconsin and want to buy my first Agro. Main use will be for duck hunting. I cant afford a new machine. Can you help me with what to look for in a used one. Just some basics to make sure its mech. sound. Ive heard you should jack it up and move the wheels to check the bearings. What do I look for when doing this ?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Last edited by Mike; 04-19-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: moved thread from General Discussion to the Argo forum

Welcome to the world of fun....The first thing you should do is download the manual buying a used aatv that is on the forum page...see attached link....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-s-guide.html

this will be a great place to start....

then decide do you want a six or 8 wheeler...

then you will want to take a look at the different types of machines that are out there...argo, hustler, attex, mud ox, etc.

then most important thing is do not jump into the first thing that comes along...take your time ask questions to the sellers and then ask members on this site...

hope this is the start of a a lot of new adventures for you...
    Last edited by guyfox; 04-19-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

When we got our first Argo I read a lot of threads in the Argo forum. I learned a lot about aatvs, but don't know enough yet. I highly recommend reading through the Argo threads. You'll gain confidence I assure you.

Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Welcome to the site Bob.
    Look through the machines that members have for sale here AATVs For Sale

And here's a great bargain too. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/autom...s-vehicle.html
    The reserve is set at a very low bargain price of $10,500.

Just wondering what makes you choose the Argo brand? Do you need an 8-wheeler? If not, there are many more options than just Argo. Both the Max II and Max IV are very capable machines and can be found for a reasonable price. There are also vintage machines like the Hustler and Super Swamp Fox that use components, such as the t-20 transmission, that parts are still produced for today. If an Argo 8-wheeler is what you got your hear set on, Buggyman's is a good deal.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Drew, duck hunting, the cargo area and stability of the 8x8's tend to attract duck hunters.
    2 guys,2 guns, max2? I'm out or my eye might be.

Welcome to the site, Bob. I second what ARGOJIM has to say about the 8x8. There just isn't enough room in a 6x6 for 2 guys,dog,decoys etc. Also an 8x8 argo is extremly stable in the duck marsh,and I have seen some really cool blinds made for an 8x8 that turn the argo into a duck blind,where you would never have to get out.(If you have a dog.)
    As mentioned, this site is a wealth of info,and would modify your unit to what you will be mostly using it for,ie,duck hunting. A large part of my property is marsh, swamp,ponds, etc. and I find that a set of tracks designed for this type of terrain is invaluable.
    One more point is that with an argo,you could also,(with the right setup) pull a punt full of decoys,or a layout boat. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Drew, duck hunting, the cargo area and stability of the 8x8's tend to attract duck hunters.
    2 guys,2 guns, max2? I'm out or my eye might be.
    I guess that makes sense. Others seemed automatically assumed 8x8 and I didn't see him specify. Now I know why they went that route.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Bob,

if it's an Argo you want, find a local owner and have him show you his machine.

Have a long time Argo owner go with you when you look at one.

Download the manuals as mentioned.

Don't buy the first one you see.

If you buy a worn out Argo, replacement parts can add up $$$ quick.

I bought my 8 I/C for $1K with the intentions of restoring it. When I'm done, I'll have $1800 in parts for the resto.

The older the Argo, the more challenging the parts can be to locate. My resto will take longer to get all the parts located than it will to do the job itself.

Hope this helps,

Ken

+ Reply to Thread