Max II Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II Rebuild

Max II Rebuild

Hello everybody. I just finished the teardown on my Max II, which I believe is a late 90s model. It was stolen out of my yard, along with my trailer , in August and I was just able to recover it. I decided to replace the inboard/outboard bearing, chains, and a bent axle, but as I started tearing it down I decided to blast and recoat the frame while it's torn down. I have read about frame reinforcement for a Max IV, is there anything that needs to be done for the Max II? I don't plan on running tracks or anything crazy. What is the best coating for the frame? I have read that Chassis Saver coating is good, and It would be much cheaper than powder coating. Is there any other parts that should be serviced while it is apart?max 1.jpg I can't figure out how to post more than 1 pic on a post.

tyler .. check the jackshaft bearings while your at it and the chain tensioners . clutch belt also . that's a few more , johnboy va,

Ok I’ll take a look at the Jack shafts. I bought the upgrade tensioner kit and didn’t get around to installing it before it was stolen so it’s still new in the box. The belt looks fine but I might as well throw a new one in while it’s apart. Thanks for the input.

I've had the frames of my two Max2s out on several occasions. I was surprised that neither had any cracks or deformities which shows its a well thought out design. You could fab up a different style motor mount that has sliders and some adjustment. That will give you some adjustment on the belt for maintenance and wear and will give you the ability to switch out motors later on. Ditch those factory chain tensioners and go with a style that has a wheel roller or sprocket type system that you can adjust as the chains develop slack.
    Other than that get the best bearings you can find and you will be back in business.
    Do you have solid or hollow axles? This might be the time to upgrade the axles while you have things apart.

I would check each weld I have had 5 frames out and each one had various cracks, the later frames had the jack shaft tower reinforced which helped with those cracks. If it still has inner bushings now is the time to add inner bearings. I had seen straps welded across each corner somewhere and thought I should have done that.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yessir I have the roller style Tensioners ready to go in. It has solid splined axles.

If I were to convert the bushings to bearings would it just be as easy as pressing out the bushings and pressing in bearings or is there machining involved?

+ Reply to Thread