Axel upgrade

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Axel upgrade

Axle upgrade

I'm trying to find out what grade or grades of steel are the best for making new axles. I have to have some larger diameter axles made. Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by doccerny; 01-17-2011 at 01:26 AM.

I believe it's 4140 chrome moly alloy.....but I really dont understand the numbers, I just trust my machinist! The theory is hard steel is brittle and wont take the shock loads,, mild steel bends too easy, and spring steel (chro-moly) will flex with the stress and return to original shape. Like a tree bends in the wind. OK bad example

Shoot a pm/email to a member by the name of "Whipper" out in Arizona. I believe he knows a great deal about steel and axles.

A long time I have been a fan of using 4140 heat treated steel for my axles which as it comes of the shelf it has a yield strength of 90,000 psi in the heat treated state. But in the future I will be using 1144 Lasalle stress proof steel as it comes in an annealed state at 100,000 psi yield strength and it is easier to machine. Comperable in price, perhaps cheaper but that may depend on where you obtain it from. Yield strenght is what you should shoot for.

I'm like you, I got to trust someone when they go to spitting out numbers. Too bad they aren't in grades like bolts. LOL

A cursory look online shows that you can get 1144 Lasalle stress proof for around $10 to $15 a foot. That's just a per foot basis for 1.250" round; not splined or anything fancy. You may be able to get it cheaper locally.

Whipper supplied me with a 1" OD axle a few years back that he wanted me to try out. I forget what the material was, but maybe he'll chime in with some information.

~m

Most if not all medium alloy steels can be heat treated to a myriad of tensile and yield strengths. Cost is the limiting factor for most of us because you would have to have a heat treat house do this but of course it"s not cheap. Check with your local supplier if you have one. Or online suppliers like Speedy Metals have quite a selection to choose from.

Thank all of you,I'll ponder it around with my buddy the machinest.

Ah, then I want to amend my advice from above. You should have your machinist buddy pm/email/(maybe call) Whipper. They would probably speak the same language anyway. In this case Whipper is more than a machinist; he is also an aficionado of these machines and has experience with what does and does not work.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 03:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread