Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-13-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That pump was screaming. I can't wait for the water test.
    That was the chain screaming in agony at 55ft per sec. thats why it needs to be belt driven.

So, how fast does the chain go on a superbike at 200+mph ? They don't make that noise when they pass you on the motorway.

Ive never been passed by a bike doing 200 and Im to lazy to do the math, besides this chain turns two shafts in opposit directions also using two idler sprockets. The main reason for chain at this point is ease of construction and ease of testing and changing ratios. Bikes are going to belts for these reasons, they are stronger, lighter, quiter, last longer and require no lubrication splatering the rear rim. all good reasons to final drive it with a belt. Also I dont want to be squirting out lubricant from a highly lubed chain from my bilge pump.

I had a 12 tooth # 50 sprocket so I put it on the pump shaft for an over drive of 1.66 crank 1000rpm pump 1660rpm put it in the water and didnt see much difference I had to change the conf. of my idlers and routing of chain but that chain still screams and I put on a new chain also. I even ran it without the pump in it but no change. I'm beginning to wonder if the sprocket on the clutch was a metric now with american chain on it but # 50 fits perfect who knows it will be gone when I belt it. Noticed a set screw on the tub so I double set screwed all the sprockets 24 set screws 3/8 x 3/8 nc.
    Last edited by chris davison; 04-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Ive never been passed by a bike doing 200 and Im to lazy to do the math, besides this chain turns two shafts in opposit directions also using two idler sprockets. The main reason for chain at this point is ease of construction and ease of testing and changing ratios. Bikes are going to belts for these reasons, they are stronger, lighter, quiter, last longer and require no lubrication splatering the rear rim. all good reasons to final drive it with a belt. Also I dont want to be squirting out lubricant from a highly lubed chain from my bilge pump.
    You need a drive down one of our motorways in the dead of night, you hear nothing until you feel the pressure wave and it's suddenly disappearing up the road in front of you with just a brief exhaust howl.

I'd rather be the one driving the bike what a rush. Ive never been over 125mph on a bike, or over 20 feet off the ground on a dirt bike. street tire knobby or paddle Ive ridden them and always had fun even when I've gotten hurt.

Finished the first half of Electro hydraulics in my school Where I wire up relays and timers to control hydraulic directional control valves (DCV,s) moving Hyd cylinders and motors pretty cool. I am searching and pricing the belt drive sys for the pump drive now and have to check specifications for my application.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    You need a drive down one of our motorways in the dead of night, you hear nothing until you feel the pressure wave and it's suddenly disappearing up the road in front of you with just a brief exhaust howl.
    Holy cow I bet it makes a mess when they crash. I've seen some pics of the aftermath of some high speed foul-ups, body parts piled up like cord wood ain't pretty, but for some reason you just can't not look.

Chris, I'm with you on the belt drive, to get more rpm you could use the pulleys off an air compressor but reversed with the smaller being the driven. Like what you've done here. I work with a guy who has 2 Seadoo drives motor and all - 2 stroke, says I can have one if I want it, thought about hooking it up in my creek boat.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Motorcycle accidents are common place over here, another one yesterday just up the road. It appears he came out of a side road at speed and hit the side of a car, another death. It's all too regular to have bikes pass you down lanes at what's got to be well over a 125 / 150mph. Nutters.

+ Reply to Thread