Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    My grand mothers family came over from england some time around 1903 her father was a Baptist pastor. Not quite sure where they lived, her maiden name was Baker.
    Quite a common name is that, what area did they come from? I wonder how long the trip took them in those days, some of those big sailing ships weren't very quick.

I dont know exactly where they came from but it was most likely a steam ship. How or why they settled in Georgia is a mystery to me.

[QUOTE=chris davison;170249]as you can see I wish I had an automatic trans. and about 40 more hp.

Chris: VW had a semi-automatic transmission that is a direct replacement for the manual transmission. Basically you shifted the thing manually but there was no clutch. I know there were many of these transmissions produced, and out there in salvage yards. Just watching your machine, I think you have plenty of power, and that thing looks great.
    Noel

Thanks for your interest Noel I have heard about these auto trans when they first came out yes I am that old. I have never seen one but I have heard about them really heavy and leaky the two things I dont want and I have never even heard about someone using one in an off road machine. If I just fix my shifter and make the engine a dual port 1835 I'd be happy. I went up to a place called white rock its an off road area just to run around some trails. I was kind of dissappointed all the trails were narrow for a dirt bike or quad. Walley wasn't happy going over whoop-te-doos and neither was my rearend. I did go thru some mud about 6 ' deep really sloppy and watery my front end was all over the place as first the left then the right side got traction. What did you think of my turning abilities after viewing the video? No one can seriously question the turning abilities of a rearend with just spider gears and brakes.

Chris I think your machine maneuvers very well, surprisingly well for a big machine in fact. It was an impressive showing.

I've seen a few bugs equipped with the semi-auto transmission, and a van as well. I don't doubt the theory of the automatic being heavier as this is generally he case compared to a manual. Of course everything is a trade off.

I wonder if there is a difference between the bug and the bus auto trans. I know there is in the 4 speeds the bus was always a beefier trans. I think Leighos has a good idea with his subaru automatic 92 hp and a shaft for the rear axles that he will power his prop with.

Seems like the buses all had portal axles whereas the bugs didn't.

Hi Larry I'm not familure with a "portal axle" all I know of is the swing arm and the IRS axles ( independant rear suspention) an axle with two cv joints. nice dozer what is it a D14? I used to own an international TD18 and a case 530 backhoe.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Hi Larry I'm not familure with a "portal axle" all I know of is the swing arm and the IRS axles ( independant rear suspention) an axle with two cv joints. nice dozer what is it a D14? I used to own an international TD18 and a case 530 backhoe.
    Chris the portal axle was a gear reduction located at the end of the drive axles. Think of the final drives on a oval track dozer. The Unimog has them. I'm sure other vehicles do. The dozer is a D11. I've run a TD18, probably older than yours though. You started it on gas and switched it over to Diesel when it warmed up.

pic of the beast............

for some reason the pic won't pull up. Goggle "pics of Volkswagen bus portal axles" and you'll see some.

+ Reply to Thread