My new project Sierra T-Boss

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project Sierra T-Boss

So why not mount one of the snowmobile engines and belt and see how it works?
    With the trans and engine offset to the right side as well as the driver the designer wasnt concerned with balance or maybe he was carrying sand bags or rocks in the left side.
    You could mount the engine on the left side to counter balance the trans ....i think it would work???

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    You could mount the engine on the left side to counter balance the trans ....i think it would work???
    How's that going to work? Turn the 2 stroke in reverse? Or machine a custom, bolt on shaft to attach to the flywheel side?
    OR....spin the t-20 backwards, and put it in reverse to go forward. LOL
    Still........The secondary clutch has to be spun in the direction it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    spin the t-20 backwards, and put it in reverse to go forward. LOL
    Cant the t20 be driven in the opposite direction?

All the gears in a T-20 are straight cut, so spinning it backwards would work. The diamond shifters would be backwards, pointed fwd= going in reverse, etc. The control sticks would also be backwards....(you would have to hold the sticks back in order to travel forward........OR, you could rework the sticks/pivot/attaching rods/springs.. If the rod attachment was below the pivot point of the sticks it would reverse the stick operation. It would make pulling back on the sticks the same as pushing forward in a normal machine.

Earlier Big Sal stated that he thought centering the t-20 was beyond his abilities.......Making all these alterations would be more complex than just putting the machine right to begin with.
    There are no advantages to reinventing the wheel here....it wont be better, stronger, more efficient, or cheaper etc.
    Trail bosses don't keep a good resale value, so dumping a bunch of time/money in it doesn't make sense. I would suggest putting it back to a normal clutch on t-20 setup, throw in the 440 out of the artic cat, and drive the wheels off it.
    Sal: the clutch on the AC motor should work fine....measure the belt that originally went on that machine and verify it was 1 3/16 or 1 1/4" wide.
    Another option would be to use the secondary that came with the snowmobile....hopefully it was setup for a 7/8" shaft.

Thats why I'm trying to cover all my angles....not being a popular machine I was thinking of scrapping the project and finding a roller machine that needs an engine and trans...and just use the engine and trans combo I have to build up somethig else...
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

suggest you find largest diameter size driven 4 stroke cvt that will fit on the extension shaft and put in a 16HP clone engine. the sled engine combo will not be very drive able or reliable. the clone will be easier to install and take up less room. you can hop up the clone later if you want to go fast.
    Acta non verba

I was thinking that maybe the previous owner (the guy who redesigned it) had a 4 stroker hooked up into it...the guy who had it when I bought it half assed a 10 horse briggs into it...didn't have enough power....16-20hp 4 stroke would do nicely...lol
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

OK here's the new info I got....the owner before me used the original clutch from the engine that was siezed up in it and it was a 2 stroke, and shaped the output shaft on the briggs to fit it...so I got the original 2 stroke clutch off the briggs....now, I'm in the process of trying to take off the Arctic Cat clutch thats on the 440 and use the original 2 stroke clutch that came on the unit to begin with (which uses a 7/8 belt and it will match the secondary)...talk about luck...lol....but getting the clutch off the 440 is proving to be a difficult process.....any idea how to get the clutch off my engine after 38 years?

Dont use a hammer and ball joint breaker lol. I learned that the hard way and am searching for the right clutch to put on my 440 kawi because of that. A hydrolic gear puller/clutch puller is what you need. It has 3 arms that can grab the clutch and you just jack the puller till she pops.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I saw where a guy put trans oil in the hole and took a bolt with teflon tape on it and sealed the hole and cranked it down and it popped it off...I'm gonna try that....lol...I was using a hammer and a piece of wood trying to get it off from the back side...I thought of the pickle fork idea, but I didn't want to damage the engine housing....lol

+ Reply to Thread