Just picked up a Scrambler project.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Scrambler project.

Thanks, any idea what size roll pins? I want to make sure I have the right punch.

What works for a bilge pump in something like these, pretty much any small 12v pump that fits someplace low?

Thanks wildbill, I really appreciate the offer. I'm needing the solid state magneto and the alternator coil, I don't think you have wither of those unfortunately. But definately thanks again, and if you happen to come acrossed either of those I am very interested!

i think a 6 or 7 hair pin if that's what you meant the roll pins are a pain in the *. i drilled out the stock ones and used the hair pin i haven't had any problem with them either. as far as a bilge pump you can get one at a walmart or like store or marina about 20-30 bucks. then you will want to take out your drain plugs in the back on each side remove the sleeve and reinstall it with red permatex it will last longer than silicone. and you can make 2 washers/seals for the bolts/plug out of some leather like a old jacket or? ect. when you grease you're chains use a good electrical grease it will keep water and sand out = longer life and remember to clean and re grease chains every couple rides [ depending on the rides] its cheaper than replacing dirt worn chains and sprockets.

write down your model type and code or spec /serial# and take the old ones with you and go to an automotive parts store and ask them i just got a coil from carquest for a old kholer engine it was $17.and some change if not ask if they know were to go.???? ask around you never know.

Thanks for all the info. You actually found parts for the old Tecumseh engines? Ill have to grab the part #s of what I need and try carquest my next day off. I doubt they will have the solid state stuff, but it's worth a try.

Are those Carlisle AT101's available in 21x11x8? I thought they were but went to a tractor dealer yesterday thier books didn't list that size. Strange.
    Any other good tires that will swim decent and do decent in the mud? I think this is going to end up a swamp machine.

try tire wholesaler.com for tires you can order direct from them for less than a store. funny you mention tires i still have the stock balloon one piece tires they stop production on them in 1975 i found a cool guy on here that had some in a garage and sold me 4 so i have some spare's. yea good luck on the tech. you could also try a john deer dealer they will often have some old parts or can get a part# for you if they r cool and want to help you i have done that several times for my customer's any way then i put the part # in a dealer locater to see if any one has the part in there inventory. best of luck your welcome feel free to ask or pm me a ? anytime.

Thanks. I would love to get the old engine going but realistically it I go new I won't have to clean up fuel tank, replace gas lines or rewire the electric start. Probably go that route.

So I've got wheels, pattern for the wheel adapter, source for chain and clutch parts, know what I want for tires and a plan for the motor. Look like I'm missing anything?

If your going new get the 16hp . DuroMax 16 Hp., 1'' Shaft, Recoil/Electric Start Engine - XP16HPE XP16HPE Free shipping This is a little over 300. Where r u in Me. We ride Sanford and Wells. Later Mike

Will a 16 fit in these things without modifying the drive line? I'm up in Farmington quite a ways north of Wells.

Just FYI: It was mentioned earlier that the duromax was a "off brand". That really isn't accurate. They are a china made honda gx390 (fantastic motor), most are manufacuted by a company called Lifan. Lifan is actually a pretty big company....google them, you will see what they make. The go Kart racers love these things and are pushing 50+HP out of them. Check these out affordablegokarts: BIG BLOCK
    The $300 motors do not come with a fuel pump, and you will have to make some duct work to get the hot air away, and the fresh air in.

Good Luck

The one engine I was looking at is a Lifan, which home depot carries. I have read good reviews but have no experience with them. And now that I looked, I can get the 15 hp for ~$40 more than the 13. And it looks like a complete motor, fuel tank all attached and everything which probably doesn't have a pump but should run fine without one unless I do some really steep climbing right? If not I still have the stock tank and all the plumbing, is there usually a pump in that somewhere? I can't look again until monday.

Now as far as ductwork, there really isnt any in the scrambler now, maybe like a rubber divider of some sort. The exhaust doesn't even exit, theres just a large grate acrossed the back, and mesh covered holes in the front at the bottom of the seat. Is this enough with the larger engine?

+ Reply to Thread