Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Ha ha, they tried to ban them here but everyone ignored it and carried on using them. There was a little lull in supply for a while but now they're back in full supply, probably from China
    I think they banned the sale of them here. I'll check and see if maybe you're right about Chinese imports. They have a place where they're useful. Drop lights and such as that where the fluorescents wouldn't work and of course my "hot box".

"Thanks guys, and ya but wife don't like me baking paint in oven and when it's 100 out we don't turn that beast on!" It gets a 100 degrees in Canada???????????? May as well stay where I'm at! Enjoyed the pics of the show. Saw several things I used to have. Wish I still had them!

Here be the short vid of it running in the Muscateer
    Muscateer with Kubota ZB600C diesel engine - YouTube

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Nice pics, and glad you managed to make it to the show. Noticed a Mini in the background of the third pic, they're getting to fetch money over here now.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Nice pics, and glad you managed to make it to the show. Noticed a Mini in the background of the third pic, they're getting to fetch money over here now.
    Mini is RH drive Cooper S 1.3L FI and quite a nice beast! Owner and I talked for quite some time, the green car directly in front of my machine is owned by a fellow with an 8x Argo getting all redone, 268 hours on meter he tells me. Got rid of his 20" tyres and has 22's and tracks, I may be able to get those old 20's for use with tracks!

Black car on my Right...H E M I elephant engine!

All in all ya it was so much fun and watching kids climb all over it was awesome!

Now to get that thing completed but I think I"m taking a day off six wheeler and installing a windshield in the wifes convertable mustang instead, be a nice surprise for her to come home to today
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Hmmm, unless your spec is different to the UK spec it's not a cooper S, it may be a cooper but not an S. The S had twin tanks and was 1275 (probably the same engine, different badging)

S's are worth an absolute fortune over here now, same with RS's. They can fetch £30,000 + for a straight motor. And as normal, I had them as a youth then sold them.

Done some testing last two days of the machine, WOW it is completely different beast.

The larger 770 Torque sensing clutch Vs the 790 Speed clutch was most likely the biggest change hands down, lower gearing and ability to back shift WOW.

The diesel is nice it just chugs along so nicely, and I've got this IP leak to deal with and an exhaust but wow...it works and works very well.

Once I redo the springs/weights in primary I'm sure this will get even better, as I've got 4 stroke gas setup and it's taking more RPM than needed to get going..but that was acceptable for the car show and little bit of maneuvering I had to do.

Once this is dialed in some more videos will be coming.

Bottom line, I really like what this machine is turning into and seems to be capable of!

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Digging around on the net found this nice Youtube video on the Bosch/Zexel PFR type pump the Kubota uses. I may be able to order the copper washers and O rings and solve this myself, that would be really neat if I could manage to negate the cost of a pump rebuild which at a diesel pump shop some 3 hour drive away quoted $225.00

Bosch PFR type diesel injection pump teardown - YouTube

I may order some O rings and copper gaskets and see if that solves the leakage for now.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Good news!!!!!

After several phone calls I located a Kubota dealer that handles parts for this engine. Oddly enough, only some dealers can sell parts for this engine, something to do with different licensing???

Thus I've ordered two O rings and a bag of 5 copper washers, these copper washers are what i think are the key and if so then I will be well on my way to running leak free!

Busy with volunteering with St. John Ambulance today doing first aid, then tomorrow work as a first aid attendant for a local company supporting forest fire workers with a mobile first aid station, then Saturday is a SAR display/demo down at a local park...guess what I'm taking down there LOL for testing and demonstration purposes only of course! Heck I may even put the plugs back in the tub and drive it into river for demo too LOL why not...except if it dies cause of leaky IP I"m screwed LOL

I've yet to make an exhaust flange and start the exhaust system however I'm sure I'll work something out soon.

Lastly will be some wiring needed for the change over to the diesel.

I'll get pics if I am down at river/park and maybe even some video too!

Thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Today I decided to clean out some fuel from the leak and must have drained about a quart of fuel from the tub...wow! Parked it on an angle by driving up two car ramps and let it drain out the rear drains.

I'm trying NOT to run it while I do some other build/mods to it but it does have to roll outside etc now and then.

Today resolved the issue of air filter housing location. This will work out well, along the LEFT side of machine where the old starter solenoid and the VR used to sit. I have made a support plate for the stock mount and that should bolt to side of tub quite nicely. Now to clean and paint that bracket, and clean and then paint air filter housing.

Also might have figured out a way to get the muffler OUTSIDE of tub over rear section where the tail pipe came up through tub, now I'll just have the main tube come up through there into muffler! On my ebay I have saved an auction for 1" flex pipe I can use to do some exhaust work, and I've got some good old Schedule 40 1" pipe I can make some exhaust out of too. One thing is to make a short pipe with an intersecting pipe I can install a Pyro into. With the exhaust outside of tub, I'm thinking this will help keep it cooler in the tub and I can use some wrap on the muffler to help quiet it down some too along with the exhaust tubing.

Once my O rings and copper washers arrive I'll pull the engine and then install those, fab up a plate for the exhaust and thus begin that side of things. I'll have to play around with some small rubber rad hose and tubing to make my air filter to engine work as it's further than stock, also by having it setup like this there is much more room for the turbo once I get around to that.

Got a small AGM battery today from John Deere Brian, that should spin the lil engine just fine. Looks like it will fit either under the cross bar the control levers mount too or up under the fuel tank.

Trying to locate Tygon fuel line that isn't costing like 5 bucks a foot is not easy. I may just for expediency go with some clear poly tubing for return line. I can get the Tygon on ebay cheap so that may be the next option.

Looks like things are coming along nicely and I've undone all my current wring and seems have to begin anew with it yet again.

It would be smart to invest in some rolls of 14ga and a bit of 10 ga wire I think lots of 14ga, many colours LOL

Well that's bout where I am and I'll get some pics soon of the air filter mount and so forth later

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread