Coot brakes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coot brakes

Coot brakes

I just picked up a Coot with no brakes. Does anyone have a pic of the brake assembly they could post. I checked the archives and could not find any.
    Thanks

Coots are geared so low, that most times brakes are not needed, much like an amphib with a t20. I don't have the brake connected on my Coot and find it very operational without it. The brake fits forward of the drive shaft and is a single disk.

The brake is mounted behind the chain guard so is difficult to see in most photos. Here is a link to Scott's Coot (he's a forum member here as well.)

Restored COOT - YouTube

I recommend that you join Cootworld as there is all kinds of info listed there.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 08-06-2014 at 08:50 AM.

The brakes on the COOTs were pretty simple, as was the rest of the machine. There was a rotor disc mounted on the shaft coming out of the front torque box, mounted on a bracket above the disc was a caliper that was manually operated by a cable that was attached to a lever on the dash. I personally haven't hooked up a brake on my COOT since rebuilding it, haven't had a need for one yet, but I do plan on installing one in the future. I'll use a go kart disc and hydraulic caliper, I'll operate it by a hand lever attached to a master cylinder. I've attached a pic I found on the web of a stock brake assembly.

COOT 34.jpg

Coop

Thanks, that's what I needed. Right now this thing rolls pretty easy and unless I am on flat ground it rolls.

Here's a related posting that I made on Coot world regarding a sprocket change to get even lower gearing (this gives great engine compression braking and totally negated my need for a disc brake.)
    I recently completed the final restoration of my Coot. The Coot came with a 20 tooth sprocket when I got it, which was geared very high. I initially switched to the standard 15 tooth but wanted to gear the machine down further. I then switched to the standard high altitude 12 tooth sprocket but found that a bit too low.

The best result came from a 13 tooth sprocket. It gives massive low gearing and controlled torque.

Here is the specs: ANSI 50B13 1" 2 Set Screw, Keyway, Finished Bore Sprocket, which I purchased off e-bay. Price was $13.95 and it came from VOODOO SPROCKET. I highly recommend this sprocket / gear combination. It works great with the Apex transmission in all gears and really makes the machine perform very well.

Thanks, I checked out cootworld and the yahoo group.

+ Reply to Thread