LTV KID steel tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LTV KID steel tracks

LTV KID steel tracks

I found an original set of steel tracks for my KID
    does anyone have any experience with them?
    How good or bad are they?
    Do they wear out fast or how long should I expect them to last?

I really don't know, but if they're a really good price jump on the deal ASAP.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Steel Tracks

I have been thinking about getting some myself, but my kid has relatively new tires and they are the larger 10" Carlisles and only 8" will fit with those tracks. I think I am going to look for Argo 8x8 tracks for my kid. The steel tracks are very damaging to driveways, lawns, or anything you don't want torn up. On the other hand, they real dig and clear material for great traction. I have to believe that just moving either track requires some help. Those suckers are heavy. For me, tracks are for spreading out the load in snow and marsh, heavier tracks increase the load you are spreading. I agree that if the price is right, jump on it. Better yet, let me jump on it.

Well I took your guys advice and bought them,
    They are in really good shape.
    With shipping included I am into them for 1500 bucks.
    I have never looked forward to snow...........until now

I have a set on mine, I thought I'd try the kid out without them, it was helpless. I put the tracks in the next day. They work great, tears up the grass if ya turn sharp, but not bad on gravel or anything else. Great in the swamp, pretty good in the snow, but coul use wider tracks for the snow. They don't like trenches, and stay out of trenches made by four wheelers, it rolls the tracks up into the tires and destroys them.

I have two kids and both with tracks. According to the factory the tracks lower the pressure down to the 2 pounds per square inch. Have you tried putting them on yet?

No I have not put them on yet. I have the engine and trans out of my machine right now so I can rebuild the engine. number 3 piston was broken. I tore it completely down and it's going back together now.

I put the tracks on my KID last week and took a trip into the bush. Unfortunately the track slipped and I punctured all four tires and ripped one track. Not the way I thought the maiden voyage would go! I was in pretty deep but I have an 8500 lbs winch which helped me get out.

I have already replace two complete “rubber bands” on the track leaving me with almost two complete used strips. I’m wondering if I could use the extra pieces and make a shorter link. Has anyone done this before? If not, where do I purchase the rubber bands? I’m not even sure what to search online to find them.

I’m also wondering if anyone has any tricks to installing the tracks. What I did the first time was loop the track together, remove all the air from the tires and stand them up in the track. I had the KID jacked up and the track was strapped to my truck with a heavy duty ratchet straps. I had a few friends helping me out with crowbars. I'm hoping someone has a more efficient method.

Any help would be appreciated,

Kyle

use 2 coil spring compressor on each side of the track or make one with 2 hooks and a long nut and bolt . I can send a picture of the factory tool if you can't get it to work. Good luck

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the response! A picture would be great to help me understand your process.

+ Reply to Thread