Terra tiger help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terra tiger help

Hybrid View

Orginal axles had 3 bolt hubs welded on ends of them and an inner ring to support inner hub of wheel and used tires like all other ATV's at that time. So someone has changed them. We use a 5 bolt hub to 3 bolt conversion on ours with steel rims and Chevron tires. Any of these old machines require $$$$ to fix up and new wheels and tires are expensive. 13 or 16 hp engine is good fit for it. Orginal drive belt was 44 7/8'' X 1 3/16" part #s MAX 1039, HP3003, NAPA Gates 6314

My 3 words,(Dont do it). You are going to put to much money into a marginal machine.I have seen numerous times someone gets a cheap or free machine,then actually spends money on it to get it running.All you end up with is a AATV that is good for maybe a trip around the yard,the performance and reliability will not be there.In the end you will sell it for 1/2 of what you have in it,years later you will tell everyone you had one of those and it was a piece of junk and needed work all the time.There are alot better machines out there,I just hate to see someone trying to get in the hobby suffer with a bad choice.In the end a Terra Tiger even fixed up isnt a keeper machine. JM2cents. Eddie

Lastly,look at the 6x6 World boards.People will brag on their Max 2 and 4's,Argo's,Hustlers,Attex,MuddOx's etc. but I dont see anyone talking up a Terra Tiger.I have owned alot of older machines and know what the drawbacks are.Sorry for the rant ,but everytime I see someone fixing up somthing such as this,and proceeds with it I see a bunch of questions at first and then nothing is ever heard out of them again.

Good information guys and I appreciate it.
    The terra tiger was just the 6x6 that I thought looked the best. My father has decided to take it on as his project and we will probably have around a grand in it. I know it wont be worth that but resale isn't the point anyways.

My father really wants it to have a cool conversation peace that functions. It will be rode around the yard and into a pond on the property occasionally.

We are already anticipating getting the refurbed steering clutches from Richards relics.

The weird thing about those axles is that I see them on Richards relics site in a pile of other new axles so they must have been on some sort of 6x6 at some point. If you go to his site and look under parts>chassis> axles they are pictured.

No need to buy the relined cone clutches. Reline them yourself or have a local brake/clutch shop do it.

I just finished a total restoration of a terra tiger this past spring. lots of body work, every bearing and bushing was replaced, re-lined clutches, new comet primary, new robin Subaru 14 hp (I got it dirt cheap). I will say unless your dead set on a Terra Tiger find another machine. By the time I was done just in parts I had way way way more than I ever wanted to spend not to mention a lot of lot of work. Im and Allis Chalmers guy so that's why it was worth it to me and I love projects. But as stated it dose have drawbacks, no reverse-it can be heavy to push, and without a frame there is a lot of flexing of the body, despite my best efforts of re fiber glassing and using evercoat fiber tech filler I am starting to see some cracks in the gel coat once again. But in the end it was worth it. A few tips I have found; if your machine is an earlier model and dose not have keyed sprockets ditch the groove pins and use grade 8 Allen head bolts and lock washers to secure the axles. Check all your axle flanges for cracks if your going to use adaptors such as those from adair argo, I have broken three wheels off my TT and had to re weld them on and add braces behind them. Also if you decide to use a newer style 4 stroke such as a Honda,Subaru,Harbor Freight etc, don't plan on having anyone but a kid ride shotgun, there is no leg room left since the head sticks out at an angle. And AWLWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure your chains are tight. I have a couple different parts books and made notes of all the new bearing and bushing part numbers along with other various parts so you can get the from your local bearing house. If your interested in a copy or any other info please inbox me Id love to talk Terra Tigers.

That's really good advice Andrew. The TT can be a fun machine if you remember it's limitations. Just keep it in the fields and on easier trails .....Think of it as owning an old ford model "T". It is a piece of history.
    If you really want to hit the hard trails and mud holes, find an inexpensive MaxII or Attex.....you will be much happier.

+ Reply to Thread