Amphicat

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amphicat

Amphicat

Hey guys I have an old amphicat that I am rebuilding I finally have it put to gather I started it for the first time yesterday I drove it forward and backwards but I cannot get the right side to drive like the left the left side wants to spin like it's supposed to but the right side I push hard on the stick and it barely moves. I have no idea how to adjust this or if that side of the clutch system is bad any ideas ??? 😔

sounds like to me the clutch linings seperated off the bands... common problem with 0079 transmissions
    If it don't have 6 wheels and floats.. isn't any good to me. Have you ever tried floating a 4 wheeler across a pond... Doesn't work very well does it?

Hey did you find out what the problem is yet I have the same model 500079 that I am getting ready to test motor and tranny. My other amphicat hasa different trans not sure which one to use yet

If it's like mine the bands (which are prone to separate) are for braking/turning or reversing only. More than likely the clutch plates are too loose. In order to adjust them you need to take the drive plungers (the two center ones) and turn them COUNTER CLOCKWISE. This will allow the plate which engages the clutch plates more travel and, therefore, more drive. Be careful, if the plates are excessively worn or you back it off too far it's possible to have it come loose inside the transmission and then it has to come apart. It's a very fine adjustment, I'd recommend a maximum of 1 turn each time you adjust it, and one half is plenty once you get it close. It's a little bit of a pain because you have to take the pivot rod for all six plungers out each time you adjust them. To do this, line up the big drive sprockets so the rod will pass through the hole allowing it to be removed. There are 2 R clips in between the center plungers that must be removed to allow it to come out.
    Incidentally, the reverse bands (which are just brake bands) and the brake/turn bands (the middle and outboard plungers respectively) are adjusted in a similar manner except you must turn them CLOCKWISE to tighten them. You will need to adjust these if it doesn't back up straight or if you do not have enough brake to turn on dry ground. If you adjust them all the way and it still won't turn the transmission has to come apart to fix the bands. Don't run it long like this because you can ruin the drum and there aren't any more 😥

No sorry i have not i havent had to much time to fiddle with it. I downloaded the mauale and iv adjusted the poles on the linkage but still no go i tightened the poles and lossend them and it still has a slow drive on the right:-(

Ok thank you that's way more info then i had :-) i didn't mess with the center plungers at all only outer ones so im hoping that will fix my problem

+ Reply to Thread