Engine stalls going down steep decline

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine stalls going down steep decline

Engine stalls going down steep decline

Hey guys,

I am a brand new member. I recently bought a 2007 frontier and I am loving it so far!! I was always a quad rider but since I got the Argo I rarely use the Yamaha anymore. I have a question, my Argo stalls when I go down a steep decline.Anybody know what could cause this?? Any help would be great!! Thanks.

Welcome DRL. will it restart while on the decline, or must it be on level ground to start again? Is it difficult to crank after is stalls? What I'm wondering is if it is running out of gas while on the decline.

Another thought - if the engine has a pressure lubrication system and a low pressure kill feature - are you getting steep enough that the oil pump quits picking up the oil, thus looses pressure, thus kills the engine? I don't know anything about the Argos but I'm just pointing to some things that could kill an engine on a steep decline.
    Last edited by dirtdobber; 11-24-2016 at 06:18 AM.

Hey,
    I can restart it while still on the decline with some effort. Not sure about the lubrication system, I am offshore at the moment and don't have the manual handy. But I will look into this when I get home. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    Hey,
    I can restart it while still on the decline with some effort. Not sure about the lubrication system, I am offshore at the moment and don't have the manual handy. But I will look into this when I get home. Thanks.
    That sounds like a clutch not disengaging completely to me.
    I'm no expert on aatvs (working on that now though) but I have been involved in snowmobiles for over 30 years.

We had a weird one with an argo years ago that it didn't like inclines at slower speeds. Loading it on the trailer was always a challenge. We dug into it and found a pinhole in the diaphragm on the carb. Tough to find, but once we changed it out there was no issues after that...

+ Reply to Thread