coot steering

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coot steering

coot steering

i have seen videos of using a steering quickener reversed and also electric power steering
    unit. wondering which way i should go a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 quickener. ??
    or the electric unit ?? thanks

Is yours two wheel steer or four wheel?

i have a 4 wheel steer and also getting a 2 wheel steer.

Noel woods just sent me a link to the YouTube video of his electric power steering, looks like a cheap and easy setup

I will probably add it to mine as well. I don't seem to be able to get the video to link, but you should be able to find it easily on YouTube
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Homercoot:
    PM sent, yes, EPS is quick and easy, and its the way to go. I'm actually going to convert a kit car over to EPS in the near future as well.

Noel

The coot has a large turn radius regardless if 2ws or 4ws. Making the wheel turn easier isn’t going to change that, it will just help your arms from getting tired. That said tire selection makes the biggest difference in turning. A steering quickener reversed for gear reduction will mean more turns of the wheel but each turn is easier. Like low gearing. It will make steering slower, but assuming some tire combos can’t even be turned full at low or no speed it will at least let you make the turn.

I can’t image the use of actually making the wheel turn the tires faster. That is going to be MORE strain and actually slow down your human arms lol.

I’d go with the most ratio you can, I believe some coot owners with 15” wide tires doubled up 3:1s for 6:1 just to make it usable.

I’ll have to check out this Electric steering adapter. Though if you use Military style NDT tires you’ll find it quite easy to turn, there was a reason this tire came standard on the coot.

Also check to make sure your steering linkage isn’t colliding with anything inside the body, the guy before me who owned mine welded on a new exhaust pipe. When you try to turn full left the steering arm up front hits the exhaust and reduces the radius greatly.

The electric power steering makes my 4wd 4ws steer like a tractor with power steering. Its super smooth and requires very little effort at all. I have a steering knob on the wheel and steer the Coot with one hand. Anyone that has ever driven a Coot with the factory set up knows how much effort that it takes to steer the machine. The trick little EPS system works so well that I'm surprised that I'm the first person (that I know of anyway) to utilize this system. The tires on my Coot are 29.5x13x15 Superlug tires, which are very large and aggressive tires.

I tracked down your video after reading, looks very useful indeed!

+ Reply to Thread