Adding second battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding second battery

Adding second battery

I was thinking of adding a second battery in parallel and came across this.

2batt.jpg

I hadn't thought about the fact that if I didn't do this the life of battery B would be reduced in such a way (traditional parallel configuration )duel battery.jpg. Has anyone else added a second battery to increase capacity?

I just got done doing this same project,I got a marine axillery battery kit ,what is nice about it is that you have the choice of using one or both batteries to start but can isolate one for assecories and still have both batteries charging. You can even shut both batteries off from the system if you have a drew issue to save them . Kit comes with a switch and an isolation relay. If you want I can get photos taken and post to my gallery. Kits and or needed parts are available from a couple of companies and both given good instructions on how to wire ....
    bg

please post them here!

I used Blue Sea add a battery mini 65 amp system and another company's switch due to my local marine shop did not have the full kit in stock so I got what they had and wired it per the instruction (check out Bluesea.com or YouTube search same ). Will post photos asap .. ps. It is not cheap but it works very well for what it does that is to give me the choice to run an electric trolling motor with recharge available or to have a second battery in circuit for starting if needed .

I also added a second battery to run my way too big light bar. I used a smart switch to keep the two separate but yet still charge the auxiliary battery only after the start battery is fully charged. Got this idea somewhere on here. So far so good. I like the fact you have more options with your set up and being able to shut everything off or run one or both. Look forward to the pictures.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tbone9; 06-15-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Castro where are you thinking of mounting the second battery in you bigfoot? I like the idea of dual batteries.

Oops , cat stepped on keyboard and sent this post and Photos to the ends of the internet , please delete and carry on with the corrected post below
    Last edited by BW3; 06-16-2017 at 12:40 AM.

,,,, Took a bit but here are the photos and wire diagram I used , works great .. Good Luck .. BG

Looks great. I was thinking about a pair of Alien Motion LifePo4 batteries mounted in the same location, one flipped upside down. I have used these in other toys and they are amazing. My father was selling them from his shop at one time and I became a fan. I had one in my 4 wheeler. left it unattended for two years. still had plenty of charge, but I wore it down to nothing, and left it for another 6 months. after this winter grabbed it and figured it was junk, but the old man said it would be fine. he used their smart charger and its as good as new. Anyone have any opinions on this type of battery?

+ Reply to Thread