Clutch replacement ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutch replacement ?

Clutch replacement ?

70's argo which had a 440 2 cycle engine. I'm replacing it with a Honda four stroke 20 hp do I have to also change the secondary clutch on the transmisson now that the engine clutch is a four stroke. Thanks

Absolutely.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

What will be the outcome if I don't change because I 'M unable to tell the diffierance between the two as far as looks. Thanks again.

The ramp angle and spring rates will be different between the two clutches. This means the engagement RPM will not match your motor and you won't get proper belt engagement. I think there are a handful of threads on the topic here in the transmission forum from members with a much more technical response then mine. It may be worth a search.

The Max clutch at mfg supply should work if you have the 1-3/16 belt.
    Your current clutch also runs a tapered bore, the new engine should (hopefully) have a 1 inch shaft.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

With a Honda 20 hp and with a new 780 comet 4 stroke clutch. How many inches are needed for the clutch to be secure when bolted on to the shaft. Thanks

2-9/16 or upwards works. Be sure the key is longer so it doesn't fall out.

I have 2 7/8 inches from engine block, and the end of the shaft will take a 3/8 bolt to keep clutch attached (being a Honda that will be a mm bolt likely ) Thanks again.

Secondary clutch

I have a argo from the early 70's and going to up grade to a Honda 20 hp from a 2 cycle and the clutch on the trans now is app 9 7/8 wide. Can I just change the spring instead of buying the 9 1/4 width clutch and going with the comet 780 primary. Thanks
    Last edited by Mike; 02-10-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

+ Reply to Thread