28hp EFI Subaru BNIB

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 28hp EFI Subaru BNIB

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    I am interested too eightwheeler! Please let me know if/when you get more...Thanks......anyone know if a clutch from a 2005 Avenger will fit on the 28HP Subaru?? The clutch has a 1-1/8" receiver.....does that match themotor shaft???
    the 28HP Subaru motors have a 1-1/8" keyed shaft.

Thanks CZ...have you ever installed a Subaru motor in an ARGO?? I cannot seem to find anyone who has?? Any ideas of the modifications required?? I'm looking to put the 28HP Subaru into a 1998 Vanguard.....it doesn't have brake fan (manual brakes), so I'm hoping that this will provide extra room so I don't have to relocate the oil cooler on the Subaru. I'm most concerned about the clutch and belt lining up with the driven clutch.....want to know if there is any horiz/vert flex in the shaft height and location, or does it need to be in the exact same location as the stock B&S.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    Thanks CZ...have you ever installed a Subaru motor in an ARGO?? I cannot seem to find anyone who has?? Any ideas of the modifications required?? I'm looking to put the 28HP Subaru into a 1998 Vanguard.....it doesn't have brake fan (manual brakes), so I'm hoping that this will provide extra room so I don't have to relocate the oil cooler on the Subaru. I'm most concerned about the clutch and belt lining up with the driven clutch.....want to know if there is any horiz/vert flex in the shaft height and location, or does it need to be in the exact same location as the stock B&S.
    No I haven't worked on that combo before. I've stuffed all kinds of motors into things they didn't belong into though lol.

The shaft does not have to be in the exact location as before, all that matters is the clutches are inline and parallel with one another and that the center distance between the clutches is the same. You can move the engine forward, backwards or up as required provided it follows the arc. If you change the distance between the clutches you will need to get a different drive belt. I would measure the distance between the clutch mounting bolts before removing the Vanguard if you plan on keeping with the factory Argo belt. The easiest way to maintain that distance exactly is with a story stick, cut a length of scrap steel rod so it fits between the two mounting bolts snugly, this is how far your drive clutch needs to be from your driven clutch to keep the Argo belt. I haven't compared the dimensional drawings of the two motors but the vertical distance between the engine mounting plate and the output shaft could be higher on the larger Subaru motor. The bolt pattern may be different as well but that would a minor fix. The only other consideration would be the exhaust, it may need to modified.

That's the advice I was looking for CZ!!...thanks so much! I am going to move forward with this project. Just need to get some more parts. Does anyone here know anyone that could do a custom header modification for me??

Sorry I am unable to get any more
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Quote Originally Posted by eightwheeler View Post
    Sorry I am unable to get any more
    OK No worries....I'm gonna go with a 20.5 Subaru instead......unless you locate a 28HP Subaru for me...

I was at a Steiner seminar today and found out that Subaru is STOPPING production on ALL small engines. Thy sold the rights to YAMAHA !

Steiner Turf Products ? I still have a Steiner 430 with 27 hp Kohler..

Yes. We have Steiner tractors at work and was at a Seminar and Subaru use to sell engines to them for repowering there machines.
    The Rep from the power division was there and filled us in on whats going on with them.
    Oh You got to Love that machine !

Started with a 410 then went to a 415,switched to Ventrac 4231 for a couple of years(nice machine but drank to much gas) then went back to a Steiner 430D for 4 years. Bought a 428 utilimax and it was a neat machine,but was very underpowered(26hp),I traded it for my current 430 with Kohler 27 hp. So I have had several machines over the years....

+ Reply to Thread