New argo startng problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New argo startng problems

New argo startng problems

Hi everyone.
    I hope I'm posting this is the right spot.
    Anyway, I just bought a brand new frontier 8x8 with a 23 kohler EFI. It has zero hours on it yet but is having starting problems. It is rough to start and will stall unless I rev the throttle. It also backfires when started. Once it's warmed up it runs well.
    Is this just something which will correct it's self once it breaks in? Was wondering about it maybe being an old gas problem? If I put new gas with a conditioner?
    Or should I just take it back to the dealer?
    Frustrating having a new machine with starting problems. I just don't think it's right the way it is.
    Thanks Jeff

I have the 23 kohler on my 016 Frontier Scout. It cranks more than I feel an EFI should, in my opinion, but once it catches and warms up for a minute or less, it is fine. This is only when it has sat in the shed without being run for months on end. During regular use, it starts a bit quicker and has the same warmup time...a minute or less, then you can blip the throttle with no hesitation or popping back. Nature of the beast I think...

Thank-you for your reply.
    May I ask, does your backfire a lot before it warms up as well?

The 2018 I jave here is a little cold blooded.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

My 2018 23hp Kohler seems to crank over more that I'd like to start too. But I need to put some new rec gas (non ethanol) in it. Mine also back fired once but I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the throttle plate and now it runs great. It went from 3100 to 3400 rpms, with tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey K View Post
    Thank-you for your reply.
    May I ask, does your backfire a lot before it warms up as well?
    I wouldn’t call it a backfire (like an old Harley) but more like a hiccup/hesitation until it warms up.

I just bought a "new" 2018 frontier LE with the same motor with a little higher rated HP (26.5). My concern was that since it had been sitting at the dealer so long I was worried about the gas being old. Luckily they were smart enough to have added fuel stabilizer. I was glad that it only had a small amount of gas in it and the first thing I did was fill it with non-ethanol gas and added a good dose (8 ounces) of Sea Foam and it runs great. The Sea Foam additive will clean out your entire fuel system.

To answer your question, no that is not normal and I would drain or pump out what is in the tank and fill it up with non-ethanol gas and add some Sea Foam. I suspect that your machine has also been sitting with old gas for a long time. I also highly recommend using the "marine" "Stabil" fuel stabilizer in all the fuel you use in your Argo. I have used it in my Argos for decades and it will save you time and money in the long run. I even changed out the oil in the engine and tranny so I knew exactly what was in there and it was fresh for the break in period.
    Last edited by thorn; 02-06-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Thank-you for that advice. I did just that and I have a new machine now.

Just a bit of added advice if your new to this kinda thing; when I do my first start of the day I’ll turn the key to the run position and listen for the fuel pump. I’ll wait for her to build some pressure before I start to crank. She seems to prefer a little fuel during startup so I’m in the habit of giving 1/4 throttle to help get her running, but I don’t have any issues like yourself with the backfiring. I’ll caution you to if your in a colder environment, mine has a habit of the throttle freezing in the winter, little bit of rust check red where the throttle linkage pivots under the hood takes care of that!

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    Just a bit of added advice if your new to this kinda thing; when I do my first start of the day I’ll turn the key to the run position and listen for the fuel pump. I’ll wait for her to build some pressure before I start to crank. She seems to prefer a little fuel during startup so I’m in the habit of giving 1/4 throttle to help get her running, but I don’t have any issues like yourself with the backfiring. I’ll caution you to if your in a colder environment, mine has a habit of the throttle freezing in the winter, little bit of rust check red where the throttle linkage pivots under the hood takes care of that!
    Yes I give mine a 1/4 throttle as well... seems to help.

+ Reply to Thread