why did they stop making balloon tires?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why did they stop making balloon tires?

why did they stop making balloon tires?

what was the main reason why the companies quit manufacturing th 3-lug balloon tires?

My personel opinion is that the manufacturers and consumers saw the downside of having a fragile tire that couldnt be broken down to repair.I wish one of the original manufacturers would have a rerun just for nostalgia.It would take some doing to make a adapter to step down from my 5 bolt hubs to the 3 bolt ,and fit inside the rim.But if they remade them I would!!!

It would be cool if they made a version that fit on say a 5 or 6 inch rim that would work with current 5 bolt setups.

The Argo Frontier tire is as close as your going to find to the old style balloon tire. Even though people think the Argo tires are fragile, they are still more durable than the balloon tires.

i was thinking of all these ideas mentioned. i wonder what all is involved to create a tire like this to get a better ride and still be durale enough for a 6x6...

Techfx,You are thinking right ,a little smaller wheel and the same tire height would be close.I think as long as there is a good bead rolled or welded into the wheel you would still be able to hold the bead,and it would be demountable and still ride better.

You could run a Carlisle Chevron which has the exact same tread design as the old balloon tires, or you could run a Goodyear Runamuck, which is very similar as well.

Smile Balloon tires...

Maybe someday soon ,a guy in fla. will be making new ones,,hint hint..

haha wouldn't be a bad idea! i like thinking of projects like this...but i'm also trying to think of how to implement the 5-bolt pattern then they can be used on all the newer amphibs too! maybe if something can be done recreatives and ODG and the others may offer them on their units new!

light tires

it's worth noting that these tires were much lighter which led to better performance and less stess on drivetrain. I have several sets of tires and really like my 20x7x8's.

+ Reply to Thread