MMmmm...OK, that's it. She'sa coming out

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MMmmm...OK, that's it. She'sa coming out

MMmmm...OK, that's it. She'sa coming out

As my Italian grandfather used to say "Standa backa boys, she'sa coming out!".

[IMG][/IMG]

I lost reverse on the drivers side, so I tried pulling the diamond shifter.

I did manage to pull the shifter plate right off the splines, lol. Shift selector itself is still stuck in the bore and doesn't want to come out. I considered doing more, but I know that this T20 more than likely had a crap rebuild, just seeing the different length bolts holding the case together, the RTV that's squirting out everywhere. Soooo....time to break her down. Which probably means I'll break it down, repair it.....and then pull the frame, engine and everything else for some improvements and upgrades. Oh well, another winter project. Like I needed another project.

Quote Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
    ....time to break her down. Which probably means I'll break it down, repair it.....and then pull the frame, engine and everything else for some improvements and upgrades.
    That's usually how my projects start. I go to simply change the oil and before I know it, I'm changing out the transmission and engine.

For the diamond shifter, some T20's had a snap ring in the bore under the diamond shaped part of the shifter. Clean out any dirt on top of the shifter and make sure yours doesn't have one.

Yep, Mike, that's one of the things I checked. No snap ring, but it's not coming out with any kind of ease. Can't see an O-ring creating this many issues, top of the bore looks good with no burrs...but it's not coming out. I'll split the cases and take a look at it once I have it in halves. I'll post up what I find.

Please share pics for us newbies. I liked like to learn more if you don't mind us looking over your shoulder so to speak. I don't intend you to feel obligated though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Please share pics for us newbies. I liked like to learn more if you don't mind us looking over your shoulder so to speak. I don't intend you to feel obligated though.
    I'm right in there with the rest of the noobs! That's never stopped me before though! Sure, I'll take pics and post them up.

Fill the bore on top of the plunger up with oil and let it sit. That should help to loosen it up.

The only time I've seen a shifter that wouldn't come out with some persuasion using a lady-slipper type pry bar was one that had actually split the side of the shifter slug where the pin bore is. when it split, it mushroomed the bottom of the shifter and wouldn't it allow come out of the bore. It took some tinkering to get the spool out of the transmission so that I could get to the bottom of the shift slug and grind off the piece hanging it up. It's a good idea to check the shifters for any sign of cracks right at the pin bore to make sure there's no sign of cracks forming.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Mike - yep, did that for a couple of days first, no difference. Right now all I could do is use a stud puller on it, but I think I'm going to pull everything anyway and it'll be easier to work on it once it's on the bench.

Don - haven't seen any cracks on the top, but I'll scrub some more and check again. You might be onto something........the other possibility I was thinking is that water got into it, and there's enough corrosion on the cylinder that it just feels like it's solidly impacting something. But it feels solid enough that I think your cracked/split bore might be the ticket. Thanks! Good tip.

Well, tons of stuff happened that interfered with this project, but I just recently got back into it.

So - trans is pulled, fun stuff I found out:
    90 weight gear oil used.....not to worry though, there wasn't more than a quarter pint in there
    How much RTV can one person use? Because this has broken my previous record...I'd say at least a whole tube of clear RTV. Cases, center plate, all bolts and fasterners, seals, you name it...RTV'd. If I ever find out who "rebuilt" this trans.......
    Rust inside? Check, yep.
    Sloppy? Oh yeah. Check that box too.
    As soon as I get the RTV to release the center plate I'll be able to pull the drums and find out what's going on with that shifter, but this is going to be a complete rebuild job, obviously.

See ya in another couple of months lol

I still can't get that darned shifter out, so I'm pulling the sprocket shaft and going to drive it through. I'll see what it looks like then, but in the meantime for your enjoyment....
    [IMG][/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Last edited by Czechsix; 12-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread