Real world differences between classic and Admiral trans?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Real world differences between classic and Admiral trans?

Real world differences between classic and Admiral trans?

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum and to Argo vehicles. But I can say I've had most everything else at some point. Even a Cushman Trackster (I still have) if anyone still knows what that thing is!
    I now my eye is on an early Avenger EFI, around 08. It does have its share of problems but I enjoy wrenching, and my day job is a heavy duty mechanic.
    One of the main issues involves the transmission. I found that not long after this model year, a major change began, with this 08 machine having the older "classic" and the newer machines transitioned to the now standard Admiral transmission.
    I looked at the parts breakdowns, read some and see the mechanics and design are quite different between the 2, with the Admiral also appearing more robust, but since I have driven neither one, I have little to base this on.
    My question is, what are the real world driving differences between the 2? How much better (I assume better) is the Admiral?, And how does the durability compare between the 2? This 08 machine has always had tracks which must have been harder on the drivetrain. Thanks! Nick

Hawssie, the Admiral transmission has been redesigned about there times. The 1st ones counter rotated in low gear, 2nd generation got away from the counter rotation. The newest version in in the Aurora is designed to work with the progressive steering (which is the absolute bomb for trail riding-but in my experience has a few draw backs) (Starting from a dead stop in deep mud with the handle bar hard left our right applies braking action to the left or right side-this is a giant disadvantage if you need to steer the machine in deep mud) Having run with several tracked Argos for several years I have seen the advantages in all three designs. I have also owned two Frontiers with the old style transmissions. When it comes to deep mud or extreme conditions a seasoned driver can do anything with the old style transmission. The difference is, it does not take a seasoned driver to make an Admiral do what ever you want. I have seen inexperienced drivers do amazing things with an Admiral.

Now pertaining to the old design, you can make it go any where but you have to know what you are doing. When it comes to trail riding an Admiral will leave the old style transmission in the dust because every steering maneuver with the old transmission takes power away from the braking side and slows the machine down just a little. This can be over come by a good driver with smooth steering inputs.

Trail riding and hill climbing are the two Areas where the Admiral seems to have a great advantage since it losses little or no power in the steering effort.

Having said all this I have seen Mike, Tim and Noel Woods do absolutely amazing things with a tracked old style transmission. I also like the low range old style transmission for pulling out other machines (it just works better)
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-01-2021 at 03:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread