G50B Lost Power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G50B Lost Power

G50B Lost Power

Running the Attex today and had a sudden loss of power. Engine will not idle, very hard to start, and has a deeper note to the exhaust. I found what I think is the main seal to the output shaft in the tub. I believe the main seal would cause this??? If so I need a part number for the seal and some info on changing it. Is it as simple as pulling the clutch and then the 4 bolts around the output shaft?

Thanks, Mike CJ-ATE

Last edited by cj-ate; 05-20-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Hey, Mike;

I can't tell what it is for sure, but unless the circle is broken someplace, I can't see how a crank seal would get around the clutch and be in the tub. Changing the seal on that end of the engine is pretty simple- about like you said. You'll need the gasket that goes under the flange as well as the new seal. Make sure the bore that the seal goes into is real clean and the new seal's in straight. You may have to shine up the sealing surface with some fine emery cloth, making sure you don't get the abrasive in the bearing. Lube the seal and the crank with grease or pre-lube when you install the flange/seal.

Good Luck.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Mike, Take your time. You've got till Saturday.

Whipper

Update

Don, the seal ring is broken. Should it have a spring inside the rubber? If so that is still around the shaft. Am I correct in assuming that the seal would create the engine problems I am having, or could it be one of those ignition problems I have heard of? I'm not sure if I can find the parts locally, or the time to get it running before Saturday (Whipper).

Mike

CJ, If you Loose your Crank Seal the motor will suck in air on that side, It'll run real lean, not idle, etc. Yea, there is a thin coil spring on the inside of the seal to keep a tight fit on the shaft. As long as you didn't run it much like this you hopefully didn't damage anything else. I would pull the exhaust and look in the cylinder for any serious scoring and turn till you can see the piston/rings and look for signs of damage, there may be scuff marks that can be seen but not felt, just nothing deep. If someone has one at Ashtabula, I see no reason why you can't get it going on-site. Good luck, hope to see you (In the videos) soon.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by cj-ate View Post
    Don, the seal ring is broken. Should it have a spring inside the rubber? If so that is still around the shaft. Am I correct in assuming that the seal would create the engine problems I am having, or could it be one of those ignition problems I have heard of? I'm not sure if I can find the parts locally, or the time to get it running before Saturday (Whipper).

Mike
    The G50b in my RIM did the same thing. Fist thing I did was take and spray ether down at the crank seals with the engine running. Knew they were bad when the engine revved out of control. I bet you fix that seal and it will run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cj-ate View Post

Mike
    If you can't find the stuff in time, bring the machine anyway- I'll bring the parts.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

New Update

Engine and T-20 are out of the machine. Any trick to removing the primary clutch? Do I need a special tool? I was able to remove the 3/4" bolt fairly easy.
    Also a BIG THANKS to all offering help.
    Mike

I have a clutch puller cj-ate. If it's the original clutch, we can pull it there.
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread