Need Help - T20 Leaking Fluid

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help - T20 Leaking Fluid

Need Help - T20 Leaking Fluid

Sorry to be a pita guys but I'm stumped. New belt came today so I put it on and went for an awesome ride. 100% improvement with the new belt. I got back from the ride and noticed fluid sprayed all over the inside back of the lower tub on the passenger side. I couldnt tell if it was engine oil or trans fluid. Out comes the engine..All clear. No leaks anywhere. That leaves the trans. About 4 mounting bolts where so loose they may as well have not even been there. No noticeable leaks from the T20 case. I tightened all the case half bolts retightened all the mounting bolts. I noticed what looks like a dust cover working its way out of the case (see pictures) I took a flat head screwdriver and worked it back into the case. It went in very easy. I notice nothing else wrong. I was hoping one of the trans. gurus on here would look at this and tell me where to go next. I dont want to risk damaging it.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...psc8dca096.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99e99fd1.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...psf54da45f.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...psa1f341ed.jpg

The thing that was sticking out was your seal. The fluid was probably ATF III. It's a cheap enough fix, but the t-20 has to be torn all the way down.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

That would be your output shaft seal. It holds the fluid in the case after it goes through the bearing...... it needs to be there. Push it back into place and hope it stays there. Remember to replace the lost fluid.

So just leave it pushed back in and pray or go ahead and pull it and replace the seal?

What normally holds that seal in?

It's never done that before. I will say this...I was driving it like a rental I didn't have to return. LOL

You should check your vent plug to make sure it allows air to pass. When the trans heats up it creates pressure and blows out the seal if not vented properly.

I would just push the seal back and watch it. The factory uses a prick punch next to the seal to retain it....I just glue them back in with silicone.

Thanks Buggyman. I was in full blown panic mode.

We had that same issue last summer at Ashtabula on one of the Attex's. Cleared the vent out and didn't pop again. We changed all the seals this winter though.

AND to top it all off...The jughead I bought this from had the T20 drain and fill plugs reversed. The one with the vent was on the bottom. All better now.

+ Reply to Thread