Valves adjustment on Kohler Magnum 18

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valves adjustment on Kohler Magnum 18

Valves adjustment on Kohler Magnum 18

Anyone familiar with the valves adjustment of the Kohler M18? Do they have the normal tendency of gap tightening? Can they be adjusted without lifting motor from Argo because not being a OHV? Any inputs would be great, thanks.

I cant help you but maybe the manual can. I skimmed around and looks like page 130 might be what you are looking for on how to do it. Page 11 for the specs.

kohler engine service manual

Also here is the owners manual.
    kohler engine owners manual

L-heads generally don't vary valve clearance. Not trying to be mean like but what makes you think you need to adjust valves? The problem is you can't tighten the valves easily on a L-head engine, only loosen and the only time you have to worry about it is when you do a full rebuild. The most common way to tighten is to replace the valves and/or cam. In most cases you regrind the seat to tighten and grind the stem to loosen.
    Road? What road? I blaze my own trail!!!

After reviewing the manual looks like instead of regrinding the seat you can actually replace them.

"L-heads generally don't vary valve clearance" do you mean they rarely go off tolerance compared to OHV? The reason I think these valves might have a problem is a lost of power with a relatively low oil consumption. A little smoke on starting, then no more in normal running. I've never checked the valves, or carbon accumulations,might be a carb problem also. I will test compression and might do a air leakage test. It's a very easy starter even in very cold situation in Quebec (with synt oil!). All the work I could perform without removing the fellow and gutting it I'm evaluating.
    Thanks for any further views

To LarryW I do have the same manual M 18&20 but it is more of a on bench servicing manual not a specific maintenance manual like we see with easy step by step readjusting B&S OHV manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by handbrake View Post
    "L-heads generally don't vary valve clearance" do you mean they rarely go off tolerance compared to OHV? The reason I think these valves might have a problem is a lost of power with a relatively low oil consumption. A little smoke on starting, then no more in normal running. I've never checked the valves, or carbon accumulations,might be a carb problem also. I will test compression and might do a air leakage test. It's a very easy starter even in very cold situation in Quebec (with synt oil!). All the work I could perform without removing the fellow and gutting it I'm evaluating.
    Thanks for any further views

To LarryW I do have the same manual M 18&20 but it is more of a on bench servicing manual not a specific maintenance manual like we see with easy step by step readjusting B&S OHV manuals.
    Yes, I mean that they rarely go out of tolerance. It takes some pretty extreme abuse to get them to be off. It truly sounds like your carb is off just a little. Prob just lean it out a bit. Start with quater turns in of the needle and retest. And if you have a good ear just turn it in while running and warm until you hear the idle drop, then back it off a 1/4-1/3 turn. But to do a valve job would be a pain without removing the engine cause the valves have to come out of the engine. Not likely your problem anyway.

+ Reply to Thread