No oil in the T20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No oil in the T20

No oil in the T20

I bought a 98 Max 6x6 about 3 weeks ago. The guy I bought it from only had it for about 9 months before he sold it to me. The problem I am having is that the Max would only pull on the left side. Reading the forms it says I needed to adjust. But I decided to go ahead and check the t20 oil levels. Too my surprise I was not able to see any oil on the lower square bolt. I decided to check other things all so. I pulled the diamond shifter ( I beleive that is what is called. New to 6X6) on the right side and the pin on it was chipped. The left side looked ok. So now I have the t20 out and went to drain the oil and only about a tea spoon full came out. I completely turned it up side down. I know there should have been about 1qt in it. My question is would no or low oil cause it not pull on one side or the other? I am still going to pull it apart and check the bands and all the internal parts.

Thanks Cable

No oil would not cause the one side not to pull....BUT, it would cause the band material to wear off, bands to eat into the drums, bearings to sieze, and all sorts of other damage.
    Better split that thing open and inspect everything.

ya the bolts that hold the two halfs togother loosen up and leak the oil out then things weld themselves together and you loose drive on one or both sides ask me how i know this?
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

I have went thought the T20 and got all the drums polished and the two halves ready to go back together as soon as I get my gaskets. It is actually a simple transmission. I want to thank thebuggyman1 and everyone else on the forum that has posted links and write up how to's. It makes thing a lot easier for those of us that are new to the 6x6 world. I just can't wait till I get it all back together and actually get to play in the mud with my atv buddies. As soon as I get it put back in the Max and test it I will let everyone know how it does. Thanks Cable..

See, I told you YOU COULD do it.

I went to install the t20 yesterday and I noticed when I but the max up on blocks that my left side rear wheel had play in it. It turns out that I have to replace the rear bearings and I all so found that 5 teeth was broken on the large 34 tooth grear that has the 26 tooth smaller gear with it. Who would be the best place to conntact about replacing these? Should I just call recreavites and get all the parts from them? Thanks, Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDWG2000 View Post
    I went to install the t20 yesterday and I noticed when I but the max up on blocks that my left side rear wheel had play in it. It turns out that I have to replace the rear bearings and I all so found that 5 teeth was broken on the large 34 tooth grear that has the 26 tooth smaller gear with it. Who would be the best place to conntact about replacing these? Should I just call recreavites and get all the parts from them? Thanks, Cable.

I'd post a wanted ad here on the site in the "Wanted" section. Next move would be to go through Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More and you could take them to a local machine shop and have them weld them up for you or you could do it yourself if you have the equipment to do so. If those aren't an option call up Recreatives. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 Whatever you do, DON'T DEAL WITH RICHARD CLARK/ROUTE6X6. You'll end up paying way too much and you'll get horrible customer service.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I worked on the Max IV Sunday. I was abel to get the bearings and the new sprockes installed. I had a mishap and smashed my left thumb with a 16oz hammer working on the new sprockets. It is funny how the old sprocket would just go on with out much effort but the new was a real pain. I guess everything new is tighter. With that done I was abel to set the t20 in but I have not gotten it bolted in place yet because I have some new angel bracket made and they needed to be fine tuned a bit to bolt to the t20. If every thing goes well and my work on the t20 is good I may have it all put back together and running the weekend coming up.

+ Reply to Thread