This is something I would like to see on 6x6world

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This is something I would like to see on 6x6world

Lightbulb This is something I would like to see on 6x6world

This site is great for helping people find the parts they need, but your always trying to find a resource you know you saw somewhere. I would like to see another section for AATV parts resources so we get all this great knowledge in one place. I am thinking a main page with a sticky post that contains a master list of companies and parts that members have bought from them. Like where to get the cheap silver bell rims, where to get relined t-20 band, sprockets, engine parts etc....... then under the sticky master list you have a poll thread for each vendor so the members can rate and describe the interactions that had with that particular company. Since it is a member controlled feedback system it would keep anyone from blaming Mike for their poll numbers, while still letting people know who the best companies are to deal with. This just entered my mind when I saw someone post where was good to get parts, and having seen the same recommendation repeated a dozen times already.
    MAX IV Mark
    Last edited by MAX IV Mark; 12-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.

I like how you think Mark because when I was new to the site I was still learning both about the site and my Max II. So when it came to get parts for it I didn't do the research. Example bearing, I ended up paying $45 per were I could of went with Buffalo Bearing and paid $13 per. Lesson learned check the threads 1st before buying anything. There are some great places out there that support us with parts and I hope the word gets out to new members that may be looking for parts.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

A great idea! One problem with all forums is that information quickly gets lost in a sea of new threads and posts.

Sorry to hijack the thread Mark, but the title was " This is something I would like to see on 6x6world" So, while we are making a wish list for Mike.......
    I would like to see category for "nostalgia" somewhere to post stories of the old days like when Whipper and others were running the racing circuit. Or stories of people going on 6x6 camping trips with their families. Bill Gerber's recent stories of the Attex Corp. were very entertaining and would fall into here. Perhaps it could take over the space that "The VIP of Amphibious ATVs" currently occupies....or even tie them together calling it "then and now"
    The next thing I would like to see is an index of the old machines. This kindof works if you search the gallery, but since the machines are not listed to be informative, it can be quite vague. In case I'm not making sense here, what I mean is a manufacturer listing with sub headings of each model they make or have made with a picture, production dates, and any other info that could be found (engine, trans, axle size, chain size, tire size, etc.). Often the difference between 2 models such as Argo Bigfoot, and 6 wheel Conquest was simply the air cooled or liquid cooled motors. I'm thinking this is far more useful for the older machines, and especially the rare ones...Starcraft and Sears come to mind here. I have seen the book that Mr.Wallach wrote before he passed away, and it would be a great resource, but I'm not sure if it is still available or not. Here is an old thread on the subject: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-made-8x8.html

Anybody else have any suggestions/thoughts on this?

I would like to see added is a, "Video" tab at the top next to "What's New?" that's my $.02.

I don't want you to think I'm ignoring this thread. I will respond but I want to wait until I have a minute to slow down and read through it completely. Sorry for the delay.

Mike: I can only imagine the countless hours of work it takes to make changes. Take your time....and think carefully before making promises. LOL
    Hey, How about a new catagory "Suggestion Box"?

suggestion box

Another thought I had was to modify the "friends" list. If it could be made into a "contacts" list with a small amount of personal info attached , I could separate out local members. Maybe use a folder system. That way when we organize a group ride, I could send a PM to everyone close by to invite them. I know as it is I forget people...and I don't intend to.
    It seems like it was easier to remember things when I was younger

This seems like a good time to suggest members update themselves on the members map. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...158.027344&z=3

First, sorry it took me so long to reply to this thread. I was busy for a couple of days with work and holiday events and then I got the flu. I have been wiped out and pretty much bedridden for the past three days and couldn't start to think clearly about things. Now on to the ideas:

Mark, I think you have a great point regarding being able to find information about parts in one place. That is really what the links section of the site was put in place for but it doesn't get used because it isn't updated. I don't want to create a new forum for parts but if we get a thread going in the main forums, for example a thread for transmission parts & band relining in the transmission forum, then I would be happy to update the links section with that information to help keep it organized. Then we could direct members to the links section as they were looking for places to purchase parts or have bands relined.

While I also like the idea of the feedback system, it starts to blur the commercial lines and it isn't something that I want to monitor. A little background on that. With AATVs having the somewhat unique dealer network where most dealers are really small, in the past it created a problem with self promotion (members creating multiple accounts to promote their own company) and was one of the things that spurred the strict non-commercial post rules that we have today.

As far as being able to find things, as you may have noticed I am fairly against having sticky threads because I feel that most of the time, the people that post before they read or before they search the forums are going to do so even if there is a sticky thread that says "READ ME FIRST". This doesn't apply to everyone of course but it's just the nature of online forums. Perhaps a better way to address the issue of quickly finding what you are looking for is to have a how-to thread for searching. For instance, I rarely use the forum's search unless I know who posted what I am looking for. Instead I always tell google to search this site and only this site for what I'm trying to find. I do this with all sites I visit as they index the entire web better than any individual search can. Small tricks like that can go a long way to finding things quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread Mark, but the title was " This is something I would like to see on 6x6world" So, while we are making a wish list for Mike.......
    I would like to see category for "nostalgia" somewhere to post stories of the old days like when Whipper and others were running the racing circuit. Or stories of people going on 6x6 camping trips with their families. Bill Gerber's recent stories of the Attex Corp. were very entertaining and would fall into here. Perhaps it could take over the space that "The VIP of Amphibious ATVs" currently occupies....or even tie them together calling it "then and now"
    The next thing I would like to see is an index of the old machines. This kindof works if you search the gallery, but since the machines are not listed to be informative, it can be quite vague. In case I'm not making sense here, what I mean is a manufacturer listing with sub headings of each model they make or have made with a picture, production dates, and any other info that could be found (engine, trans, axle size, chain size, tire size, etc.). Often the difference between 2 models such as Argo Bigfoot, and 6 wheel Conquest was simply the air cooled or liquid cooled motors. I'm thinking this is far more useful for the older machines, and especially the rare ones...Starcraft and Sears come to mind here. I have seen the book that Mr.Wallach wrote before he passed away, and it would be a great resource, but I'm not sure if it is still available or not. Here is an old thread on the subject: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-made-8x8.html

Anybody else have any suggestions/thoughts on this?
    Jim, how dare you suggest that we get rid of the highly popular and ever updated VIP of AATVs section. I like the nostalgia idea, as I enjoy those threads myself, but I think most of these types of stories would fit in existing forums. If we had tons of these types of stories / history lessons it may sway me more towards a dedicated forum but I would see Attex history staying in the Attex forum and racing stories staying in the racing forum, etc. for now.

As for the machine index, I agree, that would be nice to have. I think that thread you linked to is the best place to expand on this. Larry kept the list going pretty good. If you guys want to take that and expand upon it by breaking down sub-models and adding links to photos on the site for each model that we have photos for, I would be happy to copy that information into a new sticky thread in the General Discussion forum. I think the brochures section is a good start for the list with photos / specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn H View Post
    I would like to see added is a, "Video" tab at the top next to "What's New?" that's my $.02.
    Since we don't host videos on this site there is nothing to link to video-wise so a video tab really wouldn't do much. The best place to look for videos is in the "It's video time" thread. Other than that, videos are pretty thread specific.

Mike: I can only imagine the countless hours of work it takes to make changes. Take your time....and think carefully before making promises. LOL
    Hey, How about a new catagory "Suggestion Box"?
    I really don't work that hard. You're making it sound like I do more than I actually do. I was just tied up with work, holiday stuff, etc. and then got sick for a while. As for the suggestion box, I had such a great prank for that but it doesn't work anymore. In the old versions of vbulletin, I could post a link that would log you out if you clicked on it. The way the new version is written, it's not as easy to do otherwise I would have posted a link that said "Suggestion Box" that would have logged you out when you clicked on it.

Another thought I had was to modify the "friends" list. If it could be made into a "contacts" list with a small amount of personal info attached , I could separate out local members. Maybe use a folder system. That way when we organize a group ride, I could send a PM to everyone close by to invite them. I know as it is I forget people...and I don't intend to.
    It seems like it was easier to remember things when I was younger
    This is a really good idea. I don't use the friends list at all really so I am going to have to look into it some more and see if it is possible. I think I would use it if it were able to act like a contact list allowing you to group friends together anyway you want.

+ Reply to Thread