New Question.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Question.....

New Question.....

I was having a lot of trouble with my front left chain comming off. I could run it on the jack stands and no trouble. As soon as I would put it on the trail. bingo off would come this chain.
    After using some rather new words, and even making some up as I got more and more frustrated I came to the conclusion that the chain may be too long.
    So I removed a link. (and yes I did back off the auto adjuster) Now the chain was too short. Man you should have seen the frustration level then.....not funny.
    But pressing on I found a 1/2 link at the local chain store and this seems to have done it. But this seems as though I have missed something as I am not confident that it was the correct thing to do.
    Any suggestions??????????
    Mike

When you have the machine jacked up, try pulling the axle out of the body and pushing it into the body. If the locking collars are not locking, the axle is free to move side to side which could be allowing the chain to come off. Also without the chain in place, does the sprocket look bent?

Mike,

I would strongly suggest not removing links because it can eat up a sprocket. If the sprocket is in bad shape already you can run it for a while with less links but you'll have to replace both the chains and sprokets eventually.

Lance makes a googd point about these machines. There is often a underlying problem causing issues. The best thing is to solve the problem and replace parts as nessasary. Unfortunatly that's a fact of life with the older machines. However they can be as relyable as the newer ones if effort is put into restoring, upgrading and modifying them as you go. The good thing is you learn your machine inside and out. Next thing you know your posting your info and tricks on this board for newer members!

Good Luck!

Mike

Chains

The reason I removed the link in the first place was I noticed that the chain was extremely loose. The adjuster was all the way down (as this was front left) and no more adjustment was available. So once I did the adjustment, the chain adjuster now is about 1/2 way and I hoped this was OK as I did not know where it should be. I want to add that I have taken in out for about 1/2 hour and two things I noticed. The chain stayed on, and it did not hop when steering. I also had a back chain hopping when steering so I did the same mod and it stopped jopping as well.
    Was the hopping a sign of too loose?
    Mike
    PS
    I really need more people around here to see how much fun this thing is and maybe I can have a group to go with as I am almost always alone.....

If your chain is that loose then it is time to replace the chain. Like the other Mike said (oh my, three mikes in one thread) if you keep running the half link that will just eventually ruin your sprockets and you will have to replace both the sprockets and the chain soon.

You can usually buy a 50ft. roll for about $100. That's plenty to do your machine.

Chain

You know the funny part of this is this.
    I cut a piece of new chain.....was too long.....removed one link and it was too short......I figure the sprockes already require replacement so the half link at the time was I believe my best option.
    I intend to install new chains, sprockets and install the newer adjusters as my buggy still has the original ones and I am not completely confident in them.

+ Reply to Thread