Avenger tank removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avenger tank removal

Avenger tank removal

Dear Argo Abby,

I have a problem with my relationship with my Avenge, the Turtle. It goes like this...

I've read the instructions to remove the fuel tank but I can't seem to get it to budge.
    I got the rivets drilled out, the tool box removed, the fuel line removed, but can't get it to budge. I believe it goes up an inch at the front, then pulls forward to remove. Is this correct?
    Also, how does one remove the fuel filler hose? Is this done once the tank moves a few inches? I can't get a wrench/screw driver on it unless I the tank moves a few inches, I'm thinking.
    Another thing, I'd like to replace the fuel lines. How does one fish the line through the area that the hose is in, other than separating the top and bottom tub at the bumper seam?
    Thanks for the upcoming education lesson that you're going to offer. I do appreciate it.

Signed, frustrated in Alaska

Dear Argo Abby...

I ended up uding a car jack to pull the tank you the one inch it needed to clear the frameat the bottom. Then we pushed the tank forward snd out. It sounds simple,short and eady. Its not.
    I'm afraid I began to hate the guy who designed the tank and frame. But my hate is another issue.
    Anyhoo, we got the tank out. I'm regretting having to put it all back later. Any advice?

Almost frustrated in Alaska

I took mine out last week because I got water in the fuel. You basically said it. Its tight and the only way I could get mine out is lifting it up and using a pry bar to armstrong it forward, then wiggling it out the back.

FYI, putting it back in was actually way easier.

Derek

We got it out,drained and ready to put back.
    It hates me I tell you. It refuses to go back in.
    Ftustrating thing.
    We'll go back and try again.

We can get the tank on butcan't get the filler hose on. What should we do?

Otay, so we got the tank installed, and got the black filler hose back on the tank nozzle. Tough work, lots of confusion, several attempts at it, but it came back on.
    Let me say this.. the guy who designed the whole set up ought to be told to do a better job. Maybe have the frame designed as a bolt-on that allows the tank to be installed easier. And then the filer system ought to be done better, too.

Anyhow, enough complaining. The point is we got the thing back on.

New issue... the tiny vent hose that fits into a small hole in the filler hose. I can't get it into the hole. I gave up for the night. We will continue tomorrow.

Being a Christian man I realized something today regarding all the work we've had to do. I think our Lord is giving me Argo mechanic lessons via all the stuff we had to do... Change bearings, remove an axle in the engine compartment (hardest ones to do), change flanges, change spark plugs, adjust hydrolic steering, remove/install chains, remove and clean fuel tank... The lessons continue. Thanks for the education, I do appreciate it.

An automotive mechanic told me that back in the day a mechanic insulted an engineer. These tight almost impossible spots were designed to get back at the mechanic. I'm still not sure what the moral of the story is, but it would sure be nice to have arms that would bend at 10 different places and rotate 360 degrees. thanks for posting your results of the tank job. At least we know it can be done.

Dave

Mate of mine was a designer in the automotive industry years ago. He reckoned their only brief was "if it CAN be done that's good enough".

After all, if you take it in to be done you're paying top whack to their dealers so why should they make the job quick. Fast job = less money, that ain't gonna happen nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    An automotive mechanic told me that back in the day a mechanic insulted an engineer. These tight almost impossible spots were designed to get back at the mechanic. I'm still not sure what the moral of the story is, but it would sure be nice to have arms that would bend at 10 different places and rotate 360 degrees. thanks for posting your results of the tank job. At least we know it can be done.

Dave
    My theory is: It is designed that way on purpose. It discourages people from working on it themselves.
    The dealers make more money on service than on selling units, so the manufacturers make them that way to keep dealers profitable and selling machines.
    When dealer service becomes too expensive, the unit gets traded in and a new machine sold. Manufacturer wins again.

I'm not Argo bashing here. The same theory applies to everything from washing machines to cars.

+ Reply to Thread