Splined axle conversion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Splined axle conversion

Splined axle conversion

I have a Hustler that I continue to have axle and sprocket problems with. It seems the V-Twin is too much for the old sprockets with the wallowed-out holes. It was suggested that I switch to keyed or splined axles. What machine uses these that I can get a set? I do have one keyed axle already. Will I need anything other than the axles and sprockets? Bearings, flanges, ?? Thanks!

You can try and contact whipper on the other page, he has done 3 or so Hustlers I know of using splined axles. Probably won't be cheap but should be right, no complaints from the members running them now.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    You can try and contact whipper on the other page, he has done 3 or so Hustlers I know of using splined axles. Probably won't be cheap but should be right, no complaints from the members running them now.
    I've got a set of Whippers in my Hustler and can't hurt them. I'm throwing big HP at it, turning heavy/ aggressive tires, and I've been told I drive my machines pretty hard. You will go from 1 3/16 to 1 1/4 axles, so you will need at minimum outer bearings. might as well replace inners while you are that far in
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I've got a set of Whippers in my Hustler and can't hurt them. I'm throwing big HP at it, turning heavy/ aggressive tires, and I've been told I drive my machines pretty hard. You will go from 1 3/16 to 1 1/4 axles, so you will need at minimum outer bearings. might as well replace inners while you are that far in
    I myself can say if you my friend haven’t bent any of those axles I’d say they’re just about indestructable!!! Lol.

We have a set of Whipper's axles on the BFD and turn some pretty serious tires as well. I've never bent one but Bud has (but that's Bud).
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Where do the keyed axles come from? The one that was on my Hustler when I got it is the only axle of my 6 that I've not had a problem with. Are they a factory part?

Is is possible to have my axles (3 are only 6 months old) and sprockets cut for keyways at a machine shop? As much as I love the work that Whipper has put into that springer 6x6, it seems a bit more than I'm looking to do. I have already replaced the inner and outer bearings along with those 3 axles, and considering that I've been trying to sell this thing, the smallest can of worms is the best right now.

I run 1 inch keyed axles in an Attex with taper lock bushings and sprockets with a stainless key and have not destroyed one yet except my 1st run I didn’t have the key all the thru the bushing! Got in a hurry and missed that but other than that they’ve been great so far and I’m fairly rough on my machine.
    Good luck with it
    Dave

You could have the axels cut for keyway, cut off the sprocket tube with the hole in it and weld on a 1 3/16” sprocket hub to the sprocket. Replace hub set screws with hex bolts and crank them down tight with locktight to prevent striping the set screw. Put sleeve spacers on each side of the sprocket between the bearings to stop sprocket from moving side to side if it did get loose. I use this set up on my 100 hp springer. Hubs are cheap on surpluscenter.com. Try not to cut the keyway near the axel bolt hole to make a weak spot. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread