Cracking Noise when turning left when using tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracking Noise when turning left when using tracks?

Cracking Noise when turning left when using tracks?

Hoping someone can help me out with my issue. Just recently purchased a lightly used 750HDi 8x8 with tracks. When using tracks I'm getting a cracking noise when turning left, it doesn't happened every time but 50% of the time. I removed all drive chains, cleaned them and re-installed, I even replaced all Sliders. Removed tracks and followed the Owners Manual for tire size placement and proper track tension. Take the tracks off and operates smoothly, tracks on and the cracking noise is back. I'm thinking it might be a lose front drive chain, it seems slack and there's no chain tension. And suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Is it a crack like a slap or a grind?
    The way you describe it I'd be looking at bearings. Next just had a customer who ripped his mounting ears off trans mount.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Bearing somewhere probably front inner or outer.

All the bearings were replaced the Fall of 2018 and I went through all the bearings and everything is perfect. It sounds like the upper Drive Chain is riding the sprocket and then popping back on to the sprocket. That's the type of sound that I'm getting and again this is only when using tracks. I spoke to the local Argo Dealer and they stated I should have no more then 1" slack in the front Drive Chain and when I checked I noticed I have 1 5/8" (right side) and 1 3/4"(Left Side). The front chains are the only set that doesn't have a tensioner. So, according to the Dealer the Front Drive Chains need replacing, I'll replace them and hopefully it will fix my troubles. Ice Fishing Season opens here Feb 1 so time isn't on my side.. Will update in a couple days! Thanks again for your help

Do the chains, check sprocket teeth and idler shaft teeth.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Stopped into the local Argo Dealer and they didn't have (part #603-19) in stock and will take just over a week for delivery. He suggested I could remove a full link and replace with 1/2 link, it would obviously shorten then chain but I did read that it's only a temporary fix cause the 1/2 link is only half the strength of a full link. The front drive chain obviously needs replacing so I'm just going to order it in and hopefully it will fix my troubles but in the mean time I will check the sprocket teeth and idler shaft teeth. Thanks again ARGOJIM and Trevorakm1..much appreciated!

It's a worn sprocket. Doesn't take much for them to start popping over the teeth once they wear. You may even have a sprocket with a missing tooth. Even with ZERO guitar string tight chains (not a good idea!) you will still pop chains over a worn sprocket. Does it sound like this: https://youtu.be/0ehRA8PY9wI?t=101

Just to give an update.. It took over two weeks to receive the new front chains. When I took the old ones off yesterday I double checked the sprockets and all were good, replaced the front chains and it's running perfectly. I'm assuming the chains were so stretched that when I'd turn one direction it would release the tension then when the tension returned I'd get the crack or pooping noise, if that makes nay sense. Either way, I'm delighted it's fixed and I can enjoy the outdoors again. Thanks to all who replied..much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread