Wheel adapters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wheel adapters

Wheel adapters

I cant help but notice that the insides of the golf cart rims I have look like they were mounted to square hubs? Is there a problem making the adaptors from 3 to 4 bolt square?
    Cave Trolls Rule!

Quote Originally Posted by birddog1148 View Post
    I cant help but notice that the insides of the golf cart rims I have look like they were mounted to square hubs? Is there a problem making the adaptors from 3 to 4 bolt square?
    Hey birdog1148,
    I dont see a problem with that. Quad and such have a square,x style hub. "Go Karts too"

You cant really just make a plate/square or what ever and bolt it on though because the factory 3 bolt washer hub will break from the tube. The balloon tires are also supported with that inside curved flange.

From my experience, you have 3 choices though.

1- weld a pipe in the inside of your plate that fits over the original hub and fits tighly to the inside one. Stock adapters are built like that. It will kind of look like an over-sized hub tube.

2- when the plate is made, attach it and weld a large bead around the original washer hub to tube. The area where the stock lug head would be are further inward and try to weld them the tube also. That would simulate putting some small braces in there. Then I welded the plate on on the inside. Once all that is welded your new plate should be on square and true frome being attached with the stock lugs. I then cut original lugs off flush and weld them in the holes. Then you also dont have the stock lugs interfering with the inside hole of the rims.

3- Instead of welding all that stuff up you could just make some of your own hubs with some thick 1" ID tubing. Maybe add some cross braces if need. The cleaner and probably easier thing would be get the 1" ID tubing and then get a size up that would fit over that tubing. Cut it like 1/2"ish so you have a ring. Then put it over the 1" ID tube and push that up against the plate and weld all that together. That will give it alot more surface area to hold. And look really clean too. I have seen the cross brace style and they are probably really strong but they dont look good to me.

A lot of times its easier for me to think my thoughts then type them, hope I help.
    Last edited by LarryW; 10-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread