2003 Argo Bigfoot Charging problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Argo Bigfoot Charging problems

2003 Argo Bigfoot Charging problems

Hey guys, been a while.

Argos bein seein a lot of use lately, but have been running into a constant problem. My old stock battery finally gave out, replaced it. A common occurance with both batteries, is they drain out...while im riding! I actually lose voltage on my meter while im riding around. I do have a winch hooked up, two extra driving lights, and I am pre wired for an electric trolling motor, but even when I drive around without using the winch or lights or the trolling motor, im still burning through a charge.

I go home put it on a trickle charge after a ride, then shes right back up to a full charge til the next ride.

So anyways, I guess my question is, how much for the bigger alternator mod, and how extensive is it to install? Thanks.

Derek
    Derek

sounds like you want an alternater for your add ons, but in the mean time, have you pulled the charging fuse at the front of the engine and looked for corrosion? common problem, esp for guys like me who wash a lot, but forget to dry that fuse and the fuse box on the firewall.

The brake fan is your drain while running..

I most certainly have not, I will check that when I get home. Thanks Roger.
    Derek

Hi Derek.

The alt kit is around 400 give or take. I installed it on my bigfoot and it was simple to put on. Instructions were easy to follow and the kit includes EVERYTHING. nuts, bolts and all the stuff needed to start charging. Money well spent

You may have a short somewhere.. or your not charging at all..Your charging system should handle a ride with your stock lights without any problems....if it'a short check by removing the wires on the positive side of the battery then touch one at a time back to your positve post.. there should be no sparks.. watch carefully the spark may be very small....Best to do this in a dark location ...if a wire sparks then either you left something on or you have a short in that curcuit........2nd thing to try is...with your engine running at 1000 rpms you should read approx. 14.5 volts on the battery posts with a volt meter. 3rd ..the volt meter on the dash already says your not charging..my guess it's the charge system. but i hope it;s just a dirty fuse...jmo

Tracmaster

Quote Originally Posted by derekhonda View Post
    Hey guys, been a while.

Argos bein seein a lot of use lately, but have been running into a constant problem. My old stock battery finally gave out, replaced it. A common occurance with both batteries, is they drain out...while im riding! I actually lose voltage on my meter while im riding around. I do have a winch hooked up, two extra driving lights, and I am pre wired for an electric trolling motor, but even when I drive around without using the winch or lights or the trolling motor, im still burning through a charge.

I go home put it on a trickle charge after a ride, then shes right back up to a full charge til the next ride.

So anyways, I guess my question is, how much for the bigger alternator mod, and how extensive is it to install? Thanks.
    Derek
    My 2004 Bigfoot had a similar problem and found some of the battery, solenoid, ground connections were poor. Cleaned and redid the connections the problem went away

Well I finally got a chance to look at the fuses, they were not the prettiest. I replaced all 4, and stuck it on the charger last night. I guess we will see how this shapes up, I hope its just the fuses too, they are cheap!
    Derek

The one for the charging system, down below the front spark plug, likes to get corroded in it's holder, then it gets hot from the resistance, and melts the holder and fuse plastic. sometimes the fuse is still "good" but welded in the socket. The inline fuse holder can be bought at walmart or parts stores. get a 12 gauge wire.

Ok, I read where you said front of the engine, but then also firewall, I only checked the 4 that are on the firewall. Ill get the other one looked at tonight or tomorrow, thanks again roger.
    Derek

Ok, I finally found a minute and looked at the fuse at the front of the engine, damn thing was unplugged. Fuse looked good. I hope I am lookin at the right fuse this time, its a "30" sitting there by itself, has a yellow wire coming out (or going in) that plugs into a red wire, and that is what was disconnected.
    Derek

+ Reply to Thread