gas octane for Kawasaki engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gas octane for Kawasaki engine

Ardrossan Alberta (just outside Edmonton) Alberta Canada

gas octane for Kawasaki engine

what octane of gas does everybody use I have a 2003 conquest with a kawasaki engine i use premium gas 92 octane ?

From what I understand, it isn't the octane rating that hurts our engines, but the ethanol added to the gas creates buildups on valves and in carbeurators. I think that maybe Shell gas doesn't have ethanol in it? I would like to try 100LL airplane gasoline(100 ocatne, low lead) but it's about $5 a gallon. If you really want to make your engine last forever, use propane!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Most of the small engine manufacturers recommend 85-93 octane fuel. They also state a limit of (%) etanol or methanol addatives in that fuel. Some even state standards for running on E-85. The higher octane you run, the hotter, more violatile it burns an you rick damaging pistons and more. The lower the octane the more likely hood of knock and ping. (Just don't burn good. ) We'r talking 1 or 2 lungers here that are used mostly for recreational purposes. 85-93 octane should work fine. Running jet fuel, 100+ racing fuel, etc is more for hi performance engines that have been seriousely modified. Not too forgiving on "FActory" setups. My suggestion would be to stay within the octane parameters of that the manufacturer lists in the specs of the owners manual.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Where I am the government enforces 5% ethanol in gasoline, Ontario Regulation 535/05: Ethanol in Gasoline. I have found now that a stabilizer is required in all small engines I run. Usually everything gets 87 octane and seafoam. Larger amounts of seafoam if I am going to store it. The problem I am finding is that the gas seems to go stale relatively quick. It also seems to wreak havoc on carbs if not stored with a stabilizer. We also have a problem locally, almost every gas station gets its product from one local location (Esso, Shell, Petro Canada, Cango, Canop, its all the same) I have found it pays to shop around a find different suppliers, one local station gets it product from a different source and is much, much better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by garbie View Post
    Where I am the government enforces 5% ethanol in gasoline, Ontario Regulation 535/05: Ethanol in Gasoline. I have found now that a stabilizer is required in all small engines I run. Usually everything gets 87 octane and seafoam. Larger amounts of seafoam if I am going to store it. The problem I am finding is that the gas seems to go stale relatively quick. It also seems to wreak havoc on carbs if not stored with a stabilizer. We also have a problem locally, almost every gas station gets its product from one local location (Esso, Shell, Petro Canada, Cango, Canop, its all the same) I have found it pays to shop around a find different suppliers, one local station gets it product from a different source and is much, much better quality.
    Phase separation. IF the weather ever breaks here it's gonna make my truck payments. The ethanol is hydroscopic, (It absorbs moisture). When it becomes saturated, the ethanol-water mix drops out of solution, to the bottom of the tank, where your pickup is, and WONT burn. Also DOES NOT CARRY OIL, so while it will keep a 4-stroke from starting, it can cause damage to a 2-stroke. Everyone who put their lawn equipment away with gas in it are in for a surprise, and I'm waiting on those calls
    Really, for as much as I may make in extra business, this stuff is a nightmare.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

actually lower octane is more volatile which is why it is more likely to knock. the higher octane is used in higher compression engines so that it doesn't knock, ping, whatever butcause what it is doing is igniting before the spark. higher than necessary octane will never hurt and engine though if too high it can cause a little carbon buildup

The gist of these replies is correct. Use non-oxygenated fuel if possible. The 4 stroke engines in these machines are tolerant of 87 octane fuel, but not tolerant of being stored with oxygenated fuel. All brands of gasoline are blended with ethanol in most areas of the U.S. And Canada, but pure gasoline without ethanol is usually available for non-highway use if you look around. Labeling at the pump is required by law in the U.S., and I believe in Canada as well.

I've run two stroke and four strokes in different applications. I add alcohol to my gasoline in the winter to make sure it doesn't freeze up in the carb. I've had to walk because of a froze up carb on the older snowmobiles where i mixed the oil and gas. I never had to after I made sure I added alcohol every time I filled.
    As for worrying about old gas. Never. I just added new fuel or oil and gas and I've not been able to blame any of my engine problems on old gas. I've done everything imaginable to my engines including modifying and racing with little trouble.

Slim

The alcohol slimpickin is adding to his fuel is probably isopropyl. I should have mentioned the difference between isopropyl and methanol/ethanol. Gas line de-icers like Heet consist of isopropyl with additives. It's less corrosive to aluminum, and used in smaller quantities. You are safe adding a little iso to fuel, typically 8 oz or less to 5 gal. You are not safe storing your engine with 10 percent ethanol, which is about one half gallon of ethanol to each 5 gallons of gas. Moreover, on a 2 stroke, you will want to increase your main jet size if you use oxygenated gas because the alcohol has the effect of leaning the mixture, making it run hotter.

+ Reply to Thread