red spring

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: red spring

red spring

Hi all
    I have seen a lot of old post's about the red spring in the driven clutch. Is this spring still available? And how much better then the green spring is it?
    Larry

It's still available. You can get it directly from Recreatives Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 I think they charge around $29.99 for it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It depends on you machine and the hp on your engine. A red spring is good for a heavy machine like a Max IV with a smaller engine like a 16hp or if your hauling heavy loads. An Attex or a Max II your probably better off with a green spring. What are you putting it in?

I started out with a yellow(weaker) spring in a early 90's maxII w/16hp briggs, and it really lacked the low end grunt, but had great top speed. I switched to a red spring, and didn't like it. The 16hp just wasn't enough to make it shift out all the way and the top end suffered. I then went to the green one....and got the best of both worlds. The red (stiffest) spring keeps the clutches from advancing as fast, so it allows more RPMs while still in a lower gear ratio. What kind of machine do you have, and what motor?

The forum member Noel Woods Max II had 25" inch mudbugs and a 18 hp motor and he could'nt climb up a steep creek bank that I could with my 25 hp ,Max IV. After Noel installed a red spring on his T-20 clutch he could climb up the same creek bank with out any problem. The red spring also lets the engine stay in low range longer providing more torgue for thick mud conditions and also climbing up steep hills with very little run at them.

I have a 2000 max ll with 18hp vanguard, I plan on putting some home made tracks on it in the near future and will prob keep them on plus I plan on upgrading my 18 to a 24 hp with 4800rpm.

Larry

Larry,

It sounds like a red clutch spring will work well for you.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread