My new Hustler project..

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Hustler project..

My new Hustler project..

Howdy.
    This is my first post to the world.

I just picked up a 1980 Hustler. It's a 950 with a aircooled engine. I am in the process of converting it to be a paintball tank. This would include taking off the top and building it from the tub up. We will build a new frame top and shell. My question is....
    Can I expect any problems heat wise with this engine? Should I be working in some fans to assist in the heat issue with this? Should i just buy a H2O cooled engine(i am toying with that idea)? This unit will be used in the summer in some hot locations.

Any Hustler input would be helpful.

Thanks

Joe

PS- Here is my 8x8 that we worked on last summer.
    Picasa Web Albums - Skid - Tank Project ...

Awesome!!!

Hi, and welcome to the forums! It is great to know that i am not the only one in Colorado that owns a 6x6, AND is into shooting each other! (i play airsoft in a very hardcore fashion, and am a leader on one of the awesomest groups in the world!) I have thought about building a combat proof top for my 6x6, but have not built it yet. i have absolutely no advice right now, but I will for sure be checking out the progress that you make. (i cant wait to see some pics!) Let us know how it goes!

Joe, welcome to the site. What kind of motor do you have in the Hustler? That argo that you guys turned into a tank looks pretty cool by the way!

Thanks for the welcome gents.

My Hustler has the red Kohler 1 cyclinder in it.

I took some pics of it this afternoon.

I have noticed that when I put it in reverse I cannot turn. Is this common in a Huster? It goes backward but that's it.

Picasa Web Albums - Skid - HUSTLER

Last edited by Blacklight_skid; 11-25-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Pic
    Skid aka Joe

If you cant turn in reverse, STOP DRIVING THE VEHICLE RIGHT AWAY. The problem is that one of the brake bands in your T-20 transmission is bad. Take it apart and replace it right away or you will damage one of the drums and you will be in for a very expensive repair. You can get a new brake band from Recreatives Industries, since they build the Max AATVs with the same T-20 skid steer transmissions that the Hustlers, and many other AATVs came with. Good luck with the project!

Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    Last edited by jpswift1; 11-25-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

After taking a closer look at your machine, it isnt a Hustler, it is a Sidewinder. Both machines were pretty much identical except Hustlers were olive green and most Sidewinders were yellow with brown tops. Take a look at this post here, it will give you some more information about the Sidewinder.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...idewinder.html

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    After taking a closer look at your machine, it isnt a Hustler, it is a Sidewinder. Both machines were pretty much identical except Hustlers were olive green and most Sidewinders were yellow with brown tops. Take a look at this post here, it will give you some more information about the Sidewinder.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...idewinder.html

Hey JP, are you sure? I am sure you looked in the galley that he has linked to here, and in one of the pictures, there is a tag on the rig that says Hustler. But then after reading the other thread, you could be right about it being a Sidewinder. I think it is a Hustler because the tranny has a parking brake, and the Hustler sticker also is a little clue. If i am completely wrong, sorry, but i think that it is a Hustler. (no offense to any one. ) But whatever it is it is REALLY cool! I cant wait to see how it looks when it is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin31 View Post
    Hey JP, are you sure? I am sure you looked in the galley that he has linked to here, and in one of the pictures, there is a tag on the rig that says Hustler. But then after reading the other thread, you could be right about it being a Sidewinder. I think it is a Hustler because the tranny has a parking brake, and the Hustler sticker also is a little clue. If i am completely wrong, sorry, but i think that it is a Hustler. (no offense to any one. ) But whatever it is it is REALLY cool! I cant wait to see how it looks when it is finished.
    Yep, Im pretty sure. There was never a Hustler that was this color. The tag on the Sidewinder said "This Hustler is for off road use only....." That is because Lowell Chrisco (owner of Hustler) must have sold every part that was on the Hustler to Clay Radcliff. This explains all of the similarities, like the parking brake you mentioned. According to forum member Bushman who did some research on this subject,
    "A fellow named Clay Radcliff who was doing business with Lowell Chrisco who was the owner of Huster Corperation. Clay Radcliff was out of Colorado and bought custom colored Hustlers and marketed them with some neat options not available from Hustler and called his product the Sidewinder, I have seen one locally up here in Northern Michigan with a polyehtelene red upper body and a white hull and it had Sidewinder stickers in the same style lettering as Hustler stickers. I was comparing 6x6 literature with Richard Clarke and he had a newsletter of some sorts that was put out by Clay Radcliff and Mr Radcliff was into 6x6s extermely to say the least. I have seen the older fiberglass Sidewinders but do not know how or if they are related"

I wish I could find these guys and talk to them about their 6x6 production from back then.

ok i feel like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Yep, Im pretty sure.
    Ok, i get it now. i feel like an idiot sorry to question you infinite knowledge JP.

No problem at all. By the way, there are people out there that know a lot more than me about 6x6's. We are all learning everyday. That is why this site is so cool. There are tons of different topics and lots of helpful people here. Anyone who hangs out on this site for a while will know a lot about these great vehicles......and when you're out on a trail 10 miles from home that knowledge can come in handy.

+ Reply to Thread