Help! Removing clutch from t20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Removing clutch from t20

Help! Removing clutch from t20

Hey guys need some help here. Trying to service the t20 in my hustler, bearings are shot and need to be replaced on the left side. Got t20 out and its sitting on my work bench. I have been trying now for 2 days to get the clutch off. Soaking in PBlaster, using prybar and mallet, even heating.. no luck at all.. its dang stuck bad. Is there any way I can still break it down and use my shop press and then push the clutch off the shaft? or will cut it off? Any ideas would be godsend atm.

I had a similar issue with my Max 4, I put the t20 with clutch mounted in the deep freezer overnight, then the next day took a propane torch (on low) and slowly heated the base of the clutch, after a few minutes the metal expanded enough that a few taps with the rubber mallet got it off.

I sit in a chair, with the clutch resting on my knees. Use the weight of the trans and a small piece of 1/2" pipe or similar as a spacer and tap on the input shaft. It usually will come right apart. Make sure you have something soft under it to catch the t-20 though....don't want to do more damage.

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Hey Dan,
    The MaxIV T20 shaft was a real pain.
    Here is a pic of how I did that one.
    Note the wood blocks on the floor under the shaft.
    I kept the wood close so the T20 didn't drop far and damage the shaft or bearings.
    To start I had many pieces and removed them when the shaft bottomed out on them.
    You will feel the difference in tone when the shaft is resting on the wood.
    I now have a Harbor Freight #60603 20ton press ($149$), the next one SHOULD go easier for me.
    Good Luck.

The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

Do what Jim said... That clutch and T-20 have only been together for 3-4 years and I used plenty of anti-siez when I put them together... there shouldn't be any need for drastic measures
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks guys. Set it up for the night. Soaking in PBlaster and hanging by the clutch. Box under it has an old blocking pad from my days coaching little league football. That should catch it fine. Hoping it works. if all fails I'll set it up in my shop press and force it off the hard way.

you will need to find a drift (preferably brass or aluminum, but I always use steel) that fits inside the clutch... you are looking for solid round stock and the closer to 3/4" OD the better. set it down in the clutch bore and hit it with a hammer like you hate it. I have never had one take more than 3 strikes... including that one
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When I run into a tough clutch on a t20 that is coming apart I just tear it down. The input shaft comes out with the clutch. Put it in a press and it comes right out.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    you will need to find a drift (preferably brass or aluminum, but I always use steel) that fits inside the clutch... you are looking for solid round stock and the closer to 3/4" OD the better. set it down in the clutch bore and hit it with a hammer like you hate it. I have never had one take more than 3 strikes... including that one
    Thanks Race, Worked out good. A few more hits then 3 but its off.

While I have it off I think I will swap out to the red spring that I bought last year.

Went over to Russriders and got the red spring changed out on the clutch. Man was it stuck together good. Had to use a puller to get the clutch apart even after removing the clip. Took some brute force to get it back together. Now its ready to go back on once I get t20 re-assembled.

+ Reply to Thread