More fun and disasters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More fun and disasters

More fun and disasters

So I finish my frame for the Bazoo, it was never meant to be a roll bar but I flipped the thing straight after and not a scratch so I'm pretty happy. The engine is running great thanks to a non broken choke spindle and the choke flap no longer flaps about in the breeze. The original specs said this thing can go 33 mph, a figure I very much doubted, however now with everything running like it should I'm not so sure where my doubts lied. It screams along, almost uncontrolably and after the flip I'm a little more cautious on the cornering on damp grass. So after having some fun I jammed the left brake on and it stuck on, then I lost drive (actually it was the fact the brake couldn't disengage) on the Left side.
    This was just after going through the lake (tires the correct way around so we had forward motion) and everything going just too well.
    I limped back to the garage and started looking for the problem, it seems the puck (brake pad) had worn thin enough to slip between the caliper and the disc, this in hindsight heated the caliper and weakened it. I made a new brake pad from a car pad that just needed cutting to shape. All was going to well, I got it back together and ready to go just before dark so i took it for a quick spin. The caliper disintergrated
    So late into the night much welding and grinding (and cursing as I no longer have access to a mill) and trial fitting I made a new steel caliper.
    Note to self: don't try working in the dark, every spring, washer and tool you drop falls into the hull of the machine, and hides behind the chain, shafts and frame. I believe the whole shape of the amphib machine is designed to make you reach in between the chains for a piece that is just out of reach that you refuse to take your eyes off of as you know it will dissapear the second you blink.
    So i finish my quest and now I have another problem, due to the rigidity and new pads the left brake is soo much better than the right, meaning I may just as well make another for the other side and keep the one good caliper for a spare.
    However the thing is running so well I'm frightened to take it back out, it's too good to be true, I want to preserve it in this state forever. But I know I'll be back behind the sticks at the first oppertunity and getting it ready for snow. In the mean time I still have the Jiger to work on and now I have decided to go the kawasaki 440 route rather then the 225 I'm looking forward to something with a bit more power with better brakes and less maintainence. if thats possible.
    Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by x.l.r.8; 09-29-2007 at 12:08 AM.

X

I got a good laugh at the whole washer, nut, spring in the body thing.

When I was restoring my max I couldn't count the number of times I had to contort, beg, plead, call in psychic detectives to try and find a tiny little supthinganother that had fallen into the abyss!!

Now that It's running good you should either lock it up or sell it immediately because something is going to break again. Sooner rather than later. I'm just kidding but now that you know every inch of the vehicle enjoy it and when something does break I just figure fixing it is part of owning and enjoying a vintage machine

Mike
    Last edited by micmac; 09-29-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Isn't that the truth. I think everything you drop in the tub always goes in just the right place under the chains to where you have to get skin ripped from your fingers just to touch it. Let's not even talk about actually getting it back out

I'm glad you got things back in order and you know you can't resist the urge to drive it.

you need some of these tools to work on these machines

Murphy's law: If you drop it, it WILL hide in the smallest nook it can find. (Even if it is 10 feet from where you dropped it) And when you try to retrieve it, you WILL hurt yourself in some way. I think Murphy was actually working in cohearts with Band-Aide.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

The magnet is my best friend
    If you decide to sell the Bazooo i am looking for another one and would be interested.

yikes!this thread is almost 5 years old.x.l.r.8 has not logged in since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    yikes!this thread is almost 5 years old.x.l.r.8 has not logged in since 2010.
    Rats.... noticed after i posted...I guess he sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    The magnet is my best friend
    If you decide to sell the Bazooo i am looking for another one and would be interested.
    Hey Guy you tryin to corner the market on them Bazoo,s, LOL.NCT

+ Reply to Thread