Just bought a used 2018 Avenger 8X8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a used 2018 Avenger 8X8

Just bought a used 2018 Avenger 8X8

I bought this in the lower 48, it will need some repairs. What are somethings to look at on these? It has the automatic oilers, 30 hp engine, heater, tracks....

Nice ! How many hours / miles is on it ?

A little over 1100 miles and 300 hrs

It is starting hard, longer cranking than it should be, so I pulled out the plugs and they smelled like turpintine. I replaced the plugs and removed the old fuel, added new and some seafoam, then drove it for a few blocks and let it sit, I'll see how it starts this evening, hoping it is better.

Engine speed adjustment?

This Argo will only go 16 mph on flat road, specs says it is 22mph, anyone know if there is an adjustment to control the max speed, other than the gov?

Nice find. These are awesome machines and some preventative maintenance goes a long way. I think you are nearly over the fuel issue, the modern ethyl alcohol blends are tuff on the little engines. I use a product called Startron, it comes in a clear bottle and the product is transparent blue in color. My findings over the last three years or so since using it as that fuel doesn't go flat or collect water. Prior to this, I was spending alot of time and effort on fuel issues.
    I wouldn't get too upset about that speed issue. You may still have fuel issues or even have a machine with the lower geared transmission, either could account for the speed. The tell tale indicator will be if it performs really well with tracks, then you probably have the lower gear sets. These machines aren't built for speed, just ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Nice find. These are awesome machines and some preventative maintenance goes a long way. I think you are nearly over the fuel issue, the modern ethyl alcohol blends are tuff on the little engines. I use a product called Startron, it comes in a clear bottle and the product is transparent blue in color. My findings over the last three years or so since using it as that fuel doesn't go flat or collect water. Prior to this, I was spending alot of time and effort on fuel issues.
    I wouldn't get too upset about that speed issue. You may still have fuel issues or even have a machine with the lower geared transmission, either could account for the speed. The tell tale indicator will be if it performs really well with tracks, then you probably have the lower gear sets. These machines aren't built for speed, just ability.
    Thanks for responding! I am looking at putting the tracks on, but not sure if there is enough room, do some of these rub a little under the fenders? there is a small hole worn though on the left side, the sales guy said he thought they may have had some ice build up or something on the track. what do you normally run your tire pressure with the tracks? 5 psi?

Noel is correct, if the machine came with tracks you probably have the lower geared transmission which is actually an advantage.

Before you put your5 tracks on jack the machine up and shake each tire, push them side to side and pull them out and push them in. If there is any play on any tire that is a sure sign that you are going to need new bearings. You also need to check your chains.

Tire pressure for tracks depends on what type of tracks you have, plastic super tracks? rubber tracks, Adair's, escargot's, WE CAN'T HELP YOU UNTIL WE FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE. Some tracks require wheel spacers and EVERY type of track requires a different tire pressure and different set up. Make sure you know what you have there before you get started and know exactly what you need to do.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 04-03-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    Thanks for responding! I am looking at putting the tracks on, but not sure if there is enough room, do some of these rub a little under the fenders? there is a small hole worn though on the left side, the sales guy said he thought they may have had some ice build up or something on the track. what do you normally run your tire pressure with the tracks? 5 psi?
    The tracks may rub on the fender wells on occasion. Typically it is an issue of over or under inflation of tires, but can also happen at the verge of throwing track when the track gets pinched against the body. I generally run 7 psi on my tires either with or without the tracks as it seems to give best float in the water and I've never thrown track at 7psi. I also use a high quality tire sealant in my tires (Gempler's ultra seal). I keep a tire plug kit in the machine as well as a small air compressor, just in case. As far as body damage from tracks, it does happen, a little black silicone or gasket maker will get things sealed up again and dry.
    You have to get into a routine to check tires while riding, the front and rear tires are the biggest concern as they do the bulk of the work holding the tracks on.
    Good luck on everything, sounds like you have a great machine that just needs a little fine tuning.

+ Reply to Thread