Max Buffalo new tires and going down hill issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max Buffalo new tires and going down hill issues

Max Buffalo new tires and going down hill issues

Loving my new to me Buffalo. 2 weeks ago I installed a new set of 27 inch Swamp Fox tires. It climbs VERY well, doesn't swim at all now. I towed a 500 lb or so trailer up a steep hill and through a creek with water around a foot deep or so. I have a question about coming down hill. It sucks. Even without the trailer. I have both sticks back in my gut and I have little or no compression braking from the motor, due of course, to the CVT transmission. The foot brake is nearly worthless and what little it does work is accompanied with a loud screeching. Why don't they fit these machines with a hydraulic brake on the left lateral like the front brakes on an ATV? Is this normal for a Max Buffalo or Max IV?

I would have to say something is wrong... I am truly impressed with the stopping power on my Max IV when pulling back on the laterals...It STOPS on the hill-I'm actually afraid of doing an endo! The foot-brake is kinda weak. Also I noticed that it helps to feather the gas so the cvt stays engaged and finesse the laterals.

Thats been my (albeit-limited) experience.
    What year is this Buffalo? Tranny been adjusted?-THAT helped mine a lot (its a 2000) Did it act like that before the tires? You added a lot of mechanical advantage when them bad boys went on. Good luck!

Greg, if you search the site a little, I believe a few members have experimented with running swamp fox tires in different directions to get a little forward propulsion. For braking, tripletriple is right on. I would try adjusting the transmission because you should be able to pull back and stop the tires from turning without a problem on just about any grade hill. There are several threads on adjusting the bands of the T20 in the transmission forum.

The foot brakes have been slightly improved over the years, but I agree, they leave a lot to be desired. The T-20 on all my machines stops them on a dime. T-20 adjustment sounds like the solution to this problem.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I guess I need to give a bit more detail. I can stop with the laterals. Foot brake really stinks. I can hold it all the way down, it will slow me down but wont stopme on a steep hill. I also play with the throttle on the way down the hill to try and keep the transmission engaged for some compression braking, but that only works soso. It is just like my 4 wheeler and sxs, it likes to turn you loose on the hills. I sure wish the Max, 4 wheeler and sxs all had the old 5 speed manual transmission with and auto clutch like the old 4 wheelers used to have. I loved those things, pick a gear going down hill and never touch the brake. I will adjust the transmission, but I bet most of it is just getting used to driving it. Will spraying something on the belt help keep it engaged better/longer?

As far as going down hill ... they are right about when pulling back on the sticks i should lock the tires up and stop. for the water ... remember the tread on the tires needs to be backwards. that's the way it is on my buffalo truck.
    Last edited by timothy; 01-18-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: more imfo

Just to clarify what timothy said (and you have it right, Tim) that the "V's" on the tires point toward the REAR of the machine for increased swimming ability. Some folks here on the Site have tried the Swamp Fox Tires (MightyMaxIV tried the Swamp Fox Plus) and said they swam quite well on his Max IV. Your Buffalo lower tub is identical to a Max IV, so I think they should swim fine. I don't know if the difference in swimming capability between the Swamp Fox and Swamp Fox Plus tires has been investigated yet.

~m

There is also an adjustment sleave on the brake cable between the two sides of the caliper ,the squeeling is likely due to it not being tight enouph to grab the disk properly.
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Greg. I'd also make sure the brakes aren't soaked with oil or greasy from contaminated water when you go to check adjustment.
    Triple is right too, with the JD gators we use at work, on the really steep hills I just keep slightly on the gas to keep the CVT engaged and I usually need no brakes on the diesel and little with the gas gator.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I have the Swamp Fox Plus tires and they are turned the correct direction, "backwards", thing flops around like a wounded duck. Swam like a champ with the old Goodyears on it. Oh well, I'm more interested in traction and hill climbing than I am swimming.

Foot brake didn't squeal this time, still doesn't stop you that great but it didn't squeal. It was much warmer this time out, I wonder if that was part of it.

Robinhood, I will adjust the foot brake next time I grease the machine.

I'm also going to adjust the transmission very soon, I have to REALLY pull bake hard on the sticks in reverse to get it to move if I am turning or it is in a bind. Backing up on level ground is no problem, and doesn't take much pressure, but if the machine is in a difficult spot, I have to really haul back on the sticks. Sound normal? or out of adjustment?

+ Reply to Thread