Max 6x6 Problems..

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max 6x6 Problems..

Max 6x6 Problems..

I have a neighbors max 6x6 and it has a couple problems. First off it runs, seems to run fine, but it wont shut off.. im assuming maybe the ground lead is staying grounded to keep it running? Ive put a new switch in it and also tried putting both coils on it. Second problem.. The transmission.. It goes in to Reverse with no problem, but, trying to go in foreward it used to work ok when i first got it in my shop but now it wont engage it just tries to grind and not go in. Any help would be appreciated

not shutting down,,,,, 1st-- recheck the grounds. do a check to make sure there are no shorts in the line. the problem is not that its staying ground but that it is not grounded. transmission grinding, not shifting in forward gear,,,,, 1st-- check the rpm's, if the rpm's are too high, there will be grinding and will be hard to shift. 2nd-- readjust the transmission bands,,, poor driving and normal wear and tear will wear down the bands. I will start there. easy to do and don't cost a thing to do. Other members on the site will have more detail info just incase my advise doesn't help you. Hope you figure it all out!! Good luck
    Last edited by fmints; 03-18-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: left a word out, could not understand my message.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Try rocking the machine when shifting. this is not a synchronized tranny so requires a little play to get it in gear.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

For not shutting off, if it is a Briggs motor, you may have diodes that are bad/fried. They are located near the ignition coils. Each coil has a small black wire coming from it and it contains the diodes soldered inline. You should be able to unplug that wire and examine the diodes to check. One or both could be fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    For not shutting off, if it is a Briggs motor, you may have diodes that are bad/fried. They are located near the ignition coils. Each coil has a small black wire coming from it and it contains the diodes soldered inline. You should be able to unplug that wire and examine the diodes to check. One or both could be fried.
    What are the reason for the diodes Mike? So as not to burn up coils when grounding out to kill spark? Could a person just connect a kill switch to ground with out diodes on these Briggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogneck View Post
    What are the reason for the diodes Mike? So as not to burn up coils when grounding out to kill spark? Could a person just connect a kill switch to ground with out diodes on these Briggs?
    I learned about this the hard way when I wired my new engine up the wrong way and burnt up the diodes. They are necessary to keep the coils electronically isolated from each other. If they are burnt the engine won't run, as the coils somehow ground each other out. If you didn't use the diode wire, you'd have to run 2 seperate wires to 2 kill switches; one for each coil. It could probably be set up with a double pole switch, but you'd still have to run an extra wire from the engine.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Yup Mike,,,,,,, check the Ground,,, aha ha,,,,, I win again!!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

yea fred we have learned about grounds a time or two huh? But back to the T-20 shift problem, if it is going in one gear fine and not the other, there could be dirt,grim, or something in the way of the shifter. Remove the shifters from both side and clean(replace O-Ring too since you have it out), next make sure the nipple that sits in the slot inside the T-20 isn't grinded down. Last Oct at Busco I saw that dirt can get down in those shifters and clog them up to the point they jam up and won't move.

+ Reply to Thread