New race machines back in the day?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New race machines back in the day?

New race machines back in the day?

As I was working on my hustler today and mulling over all the stuff to make it race ready I started wondering about when AATV racing was at its heyday. The question I have is did the manufacturer ATTEX, Recreatives, etc sell stripped down new machines for racing? Or did the race teams have to buy new recreational machines and convert them to racers?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Mike, as far as I know Attex built the ST/340/R and the ST/400/R for racing, Max had the Big Max with a 440 in it, and Scrambler made the Scrambler 340 race model. I think there are some others, but I can't think of them offhand right now.........one of those crazy late nights out
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

here is a scrambler that was race ready.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Quote Originally Posted by trebmaster View Post
    here is a scrambler that was race ready.
    Very
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    The question I have is did the manufacturer ATTEX, Recreatives, etc sell stripped down new machines for racing? Or did the race teams have to buy new recreational machines and convert them to racers?
    I know that a lot of the bigger name Attex racers were dealers (or sometimes part owners of the company) and got parts factory-direct. I remember lots of Attex racer bodies without the headlight holes drilled out. They almost had to be right off the mold- probably seconds that Attex wouldn't let the dealers sell. I'd be surprised if it didn't work the same for the other manufacturers.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Action Age started offering me free and discounted parts after my second race. Axles and transmission parts were typical. In turn they expected you to actively race.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Action Age started offering me free and discounted parts after my second race. Axles and transmission parts were typical. In turn they expected you to actively race.
    Now that's cool!
    Banned

Hey Marc:
    Did you race the blackbird in NATVA events? And if so, how close to what it is now was it?
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

The Tru-Way max has an upper body blank they got directly fom RI. My uncle was a dealer but, I'm not sure if that was at the same time. All their machines were either built by them or through an after market company (ie Motion Insustries).

Looking at the old photos, you can tell alot of the early 70s racers look identical especially when it comes to roll bars/cages. I would think those were the factory machines. Afterward, everyone has their own creative cage style.

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    Hey Marc:
    Did you race the blackbird in NATVA events? And if so, how close to what it is now was it?
    John I raced MA-1 class Scrambler with a 292cc Sachs and later a 295 Kawasaki. It was yellow.

+ Reply to Thread