Snow plow is ready to be mounted... now what?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow plow is ready to be mounted... now what?

Snow plow is ready to be mounted... now what?

Ok, this is my take on a snow plow for my Max IV. Certainly not done yet- needs the springs, some pins here and there, a wear bar on the bottom edge and some other "stuff" but I need to make a trip for parts.

I'm not sure I want to make my mounts over on the bearing flanges (they would catch a lot of "goo" when just out riding without the plow) and it seems like they would hang up once in a while.
    I'm thinking of making my mount on the lower tub, bolted to a backing plate that is in turn bolted to the front of the frame (kinda like the rear hitch). It looks like I could blend it into the angle of the tub and not have anything hanging out to get caught on. Besides getting it sealed up for swimming, does anybody forsee any problems with this?

Still in the brain storming stage for the mounts on the max and open to ideas/suggestions. Thanks!

If you have the factory track kit installed, use the factory plow mounts - I do and it has been no problem.

very nice plow

I've never worked on a Max IV, but I would think that you could remove the front bearing flange bolts. replace with longer bolts that are installed with the bolt head inside and nuts outside the tub. use bolts long enough so that you can run a nut down tight on the bearing flange, then still have enough thread to attach a plow mount with a second nut. then when you go to remove the plow, all you have left sticking out is the extra thread on the bolts.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTriple View Post

I'm not sure I want to make my mounts over on the bearing flanges (they would catch a lot of "goo" when just out riding without the plow) and it seems like they would hang up once in a while.
    I'm thinking of making my mount on the lower tub, bolted to a backing plate that is in turn bolted to the front of the frame (kinda like the rear hitch). It looks like I could blend it into the angle of the tub and not have anything hanging out to get caught on. Besides getting it sealed up for swimming, does anybody forsee any problems with this?

Still in the brain storming stage for the mounts on the max and open to ideas/suggestions. Thanks!
    I once had a Max IV that I did something similar to what your talking about to hold a skid plate on.
    I used a piece of baby channel iron(4") and cut it across the "throat" so that it matched the angle of the inside of the tub when butted to the front of the frame, fitted & welded a plate to the front of the channel with holes drilled and 3/8" nuts welded to the back of this plate, so that a plate could be bolted to the front outside of the tub, through the tub,to this assembly. Then welded this to the front of the frame at the widest point the curve of the tub would allow.
    I see no reason this wouldn't work for your application, and as for leaks, you can bolt a plate across the width of the front outside of the tub for extra protection from those low obstacles that we sometimes encounter, such as cypress knees, stumps and such, and use your favorite sealant to stop the leaks. I'll sketch this out and post it up for you if you want.

Well.. Went forward with the mount... I'll post up pics if it ever stops snowing! I have been using the dickens out of it and it works great. Basically mounted the inner plate to the front of the frame, up the first angle and another 5 inches of plate on the second angle-through bolted to the outside plate which has the mounts for the plow. Sealed it up with a HD foam seal around the perimeter of the mounts and RTV on each bolt. I feel NO deflection under my feet while plowing and it fits right in with angle of the tub- shouldn't snag a thing. Thanks for the offer brushcutter but, I'm sort of compulsive... I just can't leave this thing alone!!!

recreatives sell a plow mount bracket that's fairly heap it connects the front two axles together with a plate and tabs for mounting
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Looks like the plow will have plenty of exercise today.

Oh.... as long as you are in the vicinity.......make sure to run over and flatten your infamous little ground rat "Punxsutawney Phil" , while you are out and about!

NO KIDDING!!... stupid rat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I've never worked on a Max IV, but I would think that you could remove the front bearing flange bolts. replace with longer bolts that are installed with the bolt head inside and nuts outside the tub. use bolts long enough so that you can run a nut down tight on the bearing flange, then still have enough thread to attach a plow mount with a second nut. then when you go to remove the plow, all you have left sticking out is the extra thread on the bolts.
    That is exactly what I had to do for tattooman on his max II. I used a couple of bolts and drilled for a push pin and made it a quick hook up/disconnect. Under my pics is a photo that shows this mount I made. Nice Plow !! Good work ! I am going to go use mine as we have a couple few inches of wet stuff here. My max IV had the factory hook ups and it was a breeze to hook up my old polaris plow.

+ Reply to Thread