Hustler engine swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler engine swap

Really need some advice guys!

Ok guys i'm thinking about doing an engine swap with this kawasaki kz 650 engine into my hustler 980 and I have some plans here to set it up (in the drawing). Basicaly what I was going to do was mount the engine up in my 6 wheeler high enough to mount rollers below the sprocket to redirect the chain up to the T 20 transmission instead of where it would normally go to the rear tire on a motorcycle. (The rollers I am talking about are what tighten the chains on hustlers). I was wondering if you guys had a better configuration..or you thought this one was pretty good. Thanx for the help,
    Koda
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kodashane; 08-12-2007 at 11:26 PM.

How are you going to cool the engine ????

Cooling

Cooling fan from a car...The motor has an alternator to charge my batteries..so keeping that running shouldnt be a problem.

why

why would u do somthing so bad to a rare and wonderful machine

PRC, please only stick to constructive comments. If you have concerns about a modification give a reason. It would be much more helpful to our community. I don't mind some constructive criticism but to just bash someone without warrant does no good.

I would guess that at least 20% of the cars on here are not stock and if done correctly there is nothing wrong with modifying a 6x6 or swapping engines. Plus, this modification can be reversed.

Koda... if you can lessen the angle of the re-direction (the less angle the better). A 90 is tough on a chain (and all parts) in that type of design.

Also to note (doesn't look like you'll have this problem... but to keep in mind) I remember reading somewhere that a good design princible is to make sure you always have 9+ teeth on a sprocket that come into contact with the chain at all times (and something about the min angle that needs to be between the incomming and outgoing chain... but I can't remember that one).

Looks good... why the 90 in the first place... trying to get around an object or something?
    Last edited by Beeman; 12-03-2007 at 11:35 PM.

It appears he needs to get the chain underneith the crankcase of the motor for a clear path to the T20.
    Mark

i wasnt trying to offend u but over the last 15+ years i have seen alot of machines that were modified and ended up in my junk yard only good for parts to keep another machine going . any way nice machine the hustlers r very good i had a 440 powerd one that i put the 26 inch tires on about 10 years ago wish i still had it i am working on tearing a 950 down now

I dont see Kodashane on the forums much anymore. I saw his Hustler BIGFOOT for sale on Craigslist for $2900 about 3 months ago.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

PRC, point taken. I wasn't trying to be rude towards you by the way, just keeping a friendly atmosphere here that's all. Thanks for the follow up post!

+ Reply to Thread