repowering

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: repowering

repowering

I am just getting started with a rebuild. The engine the AATV came with is a two stroke snowmobile engine am I better off with putting in a four stroke and if so how many hp. and how will it effect my top speed.

I have a 18hp vanguard in one of my attex. Its a great little motor for it. You will not have the crazy fast top end, but it will do around 25mph I think. Lets just say I am never at the back of the pack on the trails. Its enough power to play with.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I have a 18hp vanguard in one of my attex. Its a great little motor for it. You will not have the crazy fast top end, but it will do around 25mph I think. Lets just say I am never at the back of the pack on the trails. Its enough power to play with.
    And to caveat with Drew,, I rebuilt a 18hp Vanny and put it in my first Max II,,,,, it was day and night difference when compared to the 16hp Vanny that was in it at first. It was a great engine and I sometimes regret that I didn't take the 18hp out of the Max before I sold it. Its also a great platform for upgrades, like a bigger 23hp cam, carb and intake manifold, etc. I got my 18hp up to 27mph and I would think that an older Max II is slightly heavier than an attex. Bottom line, its a good lil engine that you won't frown upon,,, well unless you experience a 23hp!!!!! lol!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    And to caveat with Drew,, I rebuilt a 18hp Vanny and put it in my first Max II,,,,, it was day and night difference when compared to the 16hp Vanny that was in it at first. It was a great engine and I sometimes regret that I didn't take the 18hp out of the Max before I sold it. Its also a great platform for upgrades, like a bigger 23hp cam, carb and intake manifold, etc. I got my 18hp up to 27mph and I would think that an older Max II is slightly heavier than an attex. Bottom line, its a good lil engine that you won't frown upon,,, well unless you experience a 23hp!!!!! lol!!
    I agree completely. My tan Max2 has an 18hp Vanguard and its plenty of power. Its like a little donkey, it just works all day long with no complaints, sips fuel, sounds good, and really delivers. I've pulled large side by side UTVs out of deep mud holes and still had reserve power. You can upgrade it later and get plenty more power out of it without a lot of cost.

It really depends on what you're going to use the the machine for. As much as I hate to admit it, four strokes make more sense for trail ride machines. If you want to race or just scare the bajeepers out of your neighbors, keep the two-stroke. Your top end speed will be lower with a four stroke but you'll have more low end grunt. Good luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, four strokes make more sense for trail ride machines. If you want to race or just scare the bajeepers out of your neighbors, keep the two-stroke. Your top end speed will be lower with a four stroke but you'll have more low end grunt.

I can't believe you just made that comment!?!?! ha ha hah ah haha ha hah !!!!! 4-strokes are more reliable, and have more low end torque, B U T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing feels better than dropping the hammer on a 2-stroke capable of 35-70mph give or take (even though you have to stand on it for a lil bit to get it there in most cases). reliability and torque-4 stroke, rpm's and top end speed-2 stroke.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Or get it all. Find yourself a 3 cylinder out of a geo metro.... I KID YOU NOT 60 HP at 5000 RPM.... and then you can push it easily, safely and cheaply to 100+ hp if your speed daemon isn't satisfied.

What model Attex are you working with?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread