how do i mount tire?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do i mount tire?

how do i mount tire?

well, when i got home from busco i realized i had a half worn and flat tire that i need to replace. i got the bead broken but i cant get the old tires off. any reccomendations on how to do that? and is there a better way to seat a trailer tire than ether?

if you have a couple of tire irons, they work well for removing and installing rubber onto or off of a rim, do you have a compressor? if so i like to use a ratchet strap around the tire to pull the beads out to their seats, then just air up ontill beads start, remove strap and seat the beads.

Darin
    mud and ice

my air compressor sucks

One word "Walmart" Just kidding but it does in a pinch. I invested(with a friend) in a $60 tire dismounter/ mounter works well and saves the scraped knuckles. I used a $20 air compressor and the strap idea until I got a larger compressor but they work well in a bind.

Takes about 20min/tire once you get the hang of it.
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

I bought one of those floor mounted tire changers from Northern Tool and it works great. I figured that with an 8x8, I would probably be changing a lot of tires-not to mention the other neighborhood atv tires. It is still a 2-person job for me though. My 7-year old and I do a good job.

A couple tips that I have come across:
    1. Remove the valve stem before trying to seat the tire with a compressor.
    2. A 7-gallon air tank can help make up for a slow compressor could be a cheap alternativ to a new compressor.
    3. Starting fluid and a long lighter works for seating beads but scares the he'll out of me when I use too much. If you push and pull on the rim while flowing air into the tire, you can usually get the bead to seal enough to seat.
    4. A screw-on air tool helps perform #3 and makes it easier for the 7-year old to help.
    5. If you aren't paying attention, you can cut a bead with the spoon while mounting the tire. I still haven't figured out how to fix this.
    6. The tire changer is only worth having if you are willing to bolt it down. I drilled holes in the concrete and Inserted lead anchors. Then I can bolt and unbolt the tire changer whenever I want.
    7. YouTube has a couple good videos of someone demonstrating the tire changer. Search for "harbor freight tire changer."

I hope at least one of the tips helps. Good luck.

J

lots of soappy water works great for preventing tears around the beads. having some way to hold rim would be real nice, i don't have that yet. either scares the crap out of me too, for a bead breaker i have used the front wheel of my truck, just drive over tire missing the rim, works good.

Darin
    mud and ice

to break it i ust put a board onto the tire very close to the rim but not on it then drove onto the board and it broke the bead

+ Reply to Thread