Argo tracks removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo tracks removal

Argo tracks removal

I just bought a set of Argo tracks...used...for my 1999 Argo Conquest. I installed them and it was much easier than I thought but now I have a problem. I now have a flat tire on one of the inside wheels so I need to take the track off that side to fix it. Problem is I have ridden through a bunch of mud with the tracks on and now I can't find the link I used to put the track together and for the life of me I cannot get any of the others to come apart because I guess they are rusted on. I can get the hex nut out of some of them but cannot drive the pin out. I have dowsed them with wd40 and pounded at the pins and beat up my pin holding hand pretty good but none of them will move. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a way to get these pins to let go? I usually apply heat to release rusted bolts but can't see doing that with plastic tracks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    In the event that I cannot get them off and the tire stays flat, can I just go with 6 good wheels on that side or will that be a problem in the snow?

No Problem.
    Flatten your front and rear tires on that side.
    At either the front or back, pull as much slack as you can in the track.
    Fold the track in on itself as much as you can (you won't get much)
    Use an Angle Grinder with a Zip-Cut blade to cut the Track Pin on either side of the Lock Collar (There is JUST enough room to fit the blade between the track and the Collar). A Dremmel (with cutting disk) can also be used to cut the collar, but it takes longer.
    Drive the remaining track pin pieces out.
    Done

Note: you will need a new Pin/Collar

RD

argo track removed

Thanks for the response, RD. While waiting for the definitive answer this morning I went out and took another shot at finding a pin that would move. Yesterday I tried all the hex nuts that faced out so this time I went at the ones facing in. I got lucky and the third one I turned around came easy and the pin came out...no doubt the one I put together when I put the tracks on originally. Anyway, your advice is not lost on me. Come Spring I will have to take both tracks off and I just know the other one will be the same so I expect to use your solution yet. Not that I have any of the tools you describe but now I have a reason to buy them...more tools, even better. Thanks again.

One Piece Track Removal

Quote Originally Posted by argowar View Post
    Thanks for the response, RD. While waiting for the definitive answer this morning I went out and took another shot at finding a pin that would move. Yesterday I tried all the hex nuts that faced out so this time I went at the ones facing in. I got lucky and the third one I turned around came easy and the pin came out...no doubt the one I put together when I put the tracks on originally. Anyway, your advice is not lost on me. Come Spring I will have to take both tracks off and I just know the other one will be the same so I expect to use your solution yet. Not that I have any of the tools you describe but now I have a reason to buy them...more tools, even better. Thanks again.
    I used to leave my tracks intact, remove all 4 tires & yank the tracks off. Re-install the 4 tires &, 15 min. later, both sides were done!! To reverse the process, put the front & back tire on, inside the tracks, let air out of all 4 tires to create slack in track, attach lug nuts loose, have a helper person hold the middle of the tracks open & put the 2 middle tires on and, 20 min. later both sides are re-tracked!!
    Last edited by artist1018; 11-16-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Good Idea artist1018 !! I have yet to put the 18" tracks on my BigFoot ! Should do it for plowing this winter,,,Just to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by m350 View Post
    Good Idea artist1018 !! I have yet to put the 18" tracks on my BigFoot ! Should do it for plowing this winter,,,Just to try it.
    m350 you can plow more with just your tires than with the tracks, I've tried it both ways, I think the tracks distribute the weight too much and don't bite as well as tires. I was using a set of supper tracks with cleats, maybe rubber tracks are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by argowar View Post
    argowar I always mark the link I use to separate the tracks with a little red spray paint, saves a lot of time.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-16-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the multi-quote button(s) )
    After the game the King and the Pawn end up in the same Box!

track removal

I use the spray paint method also , you will usually find a few set screws that will loosen , I spray a dot of paint on several of the collars on each side , makes it easy to find at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary F View Post
    I use the spray paint method also , you will usually find a few set screws that will loosen , I spray a dot of paint on several of the collars on each side , makes it easy to find at least one of them.
    A trick I learned in the Navy: Use red nail polish! It covers the nut to keep out dirt, and, in torque situations, if the nail polish is cracked, you know torque is now off as well!!

+ Reply to Thread