Axle frozen to inner bearing :(

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle frozen to inner bearing :(

Hybrid View

Axle frozen to inner bearing :(

I removed three of the six axles on my 950 with no problems. However the middle right side axle is frozen solid in the inner bearing. I removed the other side middle axle and ran a steel rod through the opening and tried to hammer it out. It will not budge. I have beaten up the inner bearing so it will need to be replaced. I am letting it soak in PB Blaster over night. Anyone else conquered this problem with an inner bearing sleeve frozen to the axle. I may go buy a propane torch and heat the crap out of it. Would it be possible to cut the bearing off? There is not much room since it is inside the center channel. Let me know your suggestions.
    Al

Get yourself a nice little air motor for $ 10-20 at HF. Use a " Reinforced Cut-off Wheel". Carefully cut thru the brg race,or whatever,down to the axle. Try not to score the axle too much but a little wont kill it. Once it is cut thru it will come off quite easily. Brg races are hardened and will "shatter" nicley also. Wear saftey glasses!!, wrap the patient in a shop towel and apply a few blows w/ hammer. Good luck. Joe.

you may have set screws or an ecentric collar that need to be removed from the inner bearing before the axle can come out. if those are removed, you might be able to remove the ecentric from the outer and drive the axle further into the machine. this would pop the inner bearing out of it's holder and give you room to cut it off.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

i have rachet strapped the opposite side down and then rachet strap the axle to be removed with a four bolt hub on that end tight tension, 5lb hammer after a good soaking penetrating lube. mark with a marker to check for movement and give your self a work out has never failed me yet. But like racerone3 said make sure you have the set screw out some of mine had 1 screw some have 2. When attaching ratchet strap to axle being removed try to have the tension tight and strap should stay straight with the axle to be pulled. GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    you may have set screws or an ecentric collar that need to be removed from the inner bearing before the axle can come out. if those are removed, you might be able to remove the ecentric from the outer and drive the axle further into the machine. this would pop the inner bearing out of it's holder and give you room to cut it off.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to see if I can push it in further to give me more room to operate. I am not sure if the outer bearing will slide on the axle, but I will take a look later today. I have come to find out that nothing is easy with these old beasts. My left shoulder aches from banging on it last night. Is it correct to say that Buffalo Bearings is the place to call for the replacement parts (once I hack it off)?

arp,

Buffalo bearings is just one of MANY places that will have, or can get, a replacement bearing for you. Check out Motion Industries (540 Trade Center Street
    Montgomery, AL 36108-2102 (334) 262-5786) since they're right down by you. My experience is that you can either just call them up, or walk up to the parts folks there and they're always more than happy to find you the part you need.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    arp,

Buffalo bearings is just one of MANY places that will have, or can get, a replacement bearing for you. Check out Motion Industries (540 Trade Center Street
    Montgomery, AL 36108-2102 (334) 262-5786) since they're right down by you. My experience is that you can either just call them up, or walk up to the parts folks there and they're always more than happy to find you the part you need.

~m
    Wow...I have now found the one advantage to living near Montgomery Thanks for the lead...

I have done what racerone3 has stated as far as pushing the axle inward, but I used a chisel and hammer to shatter the outer race and remove the balls and retainers. For some reason I want to think that I was able to slide the axle out?? I think that the sprocket will slide over the inner race of the inner bearing, and then you can remove that race with the axle on a bench.

Well hopefully I can sneak off base and begin hammering, chiseling, heating, swearing, etc. And then I still have 2 more axles to remove, not to mention, attempting to remove the outer bearing from the axle as well
    Looks to be a fun weekend.

+ Reply to Thread