Ebay carb or rebuild the carb...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ebay carb or rebuild the carb...

Hybrid View

Ebay carb or rebuild the carb...

Ok, so here goes. I recently picked up a 93 Max II with the original 16 hp Vangard motor (date stamp is '93). I've replaced the plugs, coils, new gas, cleaned the carb, compression tested of 150 on the rear cylinder and 140 on the front, but still we're not smiling. The Max idles pretty good but as soon as I start to give it the gas, it blows gas out of the carb and back fires and has no power. I believe it is a fuel problem and I see I have two choices, rebuild it the carb for $75 or get an Ebay carb complete for $50. Do y'all think I've trouble shot correctly in that my problem is the carb and should I go cheap on Ebay or rebuild? Thanks in advance. Fred, sitting broken hearted in my Max in the garage...

Oh yeah, I put on a new fuel pump too.
    Last edited by Fdildine; 04-19-2020 at 08:53 PM.

I'm leaning toward a carb problem. It could be flooding itself thus causing the backfiring and poor running condition. When you do run it, and if it is flooding itself, the plugs should be black. Your post says you cleaned the carb. Did you actually disassemble it, remove the jets, soak it in a cleaner, run a wire through ports, etc?

Also, did you properly gap the plugs and coils?

I properly gapped the plugs and coils. I pulled the carb apart, spayed most of a can of carb cleaner on and through the jets and bowl. I used a small wire and I ran it through the jets. On the plugs, the front one is white or looks normal and the back one is black and wet. It looks like gas fouling

pull the back plug and make sure its firing - through the plug, not just through the wire. You could have gotten a bad plug or coil. If the carb was dumping fuel into the engine it should show up on both plugs.

Does the coil mount in only one position (I think so but its worth asking)? If not, is it mounted wrong and thus the ignition timing is off on that cylinder?

I'll give those ideas a shot later today. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread